Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos >

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM
DJ

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
Fabric406.com has this pattern for a 9" block. I don't think it would be too hard to make it into 12" block (just add more strips.) https://fabric406.com/blogs/fabric40...nd-quilt-block. I would use the second method. I would make the straight sides of the triangle equal to 9". Once you get all 4 triangles sew together it should equal to 12.5" unfinished (maybe a hair bigger). Hope this helps anyone who wants to make this block.
That method still makes two blocks.

Haven't had a chance to play with my paper piecing idea yet, although I have the fabrics selected that I want to use.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Queenbarbiej View Post
Joe'smom when you make the strip set then cut into 4 blocks, cut them in half you will end up wit two blocks. Using her colorway, you would have coral on top and burgundy on the bottom. That's why you end up with 2 blocks that are different.
I'm failing to see why you can't just cut fewer strips to make fewer blocks (but I can be pretty dense at times).
Old 05-14-2021, 11:01 AM

I did print the May block .... but hadn’t looked at it closely. I’m happy to do an alternative block. I liked both the Chinese Puzzle and Whirlwind blocks suggested.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:17 PM
DJ

Blueridgebeverly ~ The method for making this block has you sew a strip set and then cut the strip set into triangular pieces. Half of the triangles end up with one color on the long side and half with the other color on the long side. You then use half of the triangles (4) for one block and the other 4 for a second block. The two blocks have different center colors. I hope that explains it.

I did my one block using two 9 1/2" squares of newsprint and cutting them diagonally resulting in 4 triangles. I laid my first 2" fabric strip along one side and sewed it a scant 1/4" from the cut edge (right side up). Then I laid the next fabric strip right side down on top of the first one and sewed the seam, pressed open, then sewed the next strip on, etc. Kind of like quilt as you go without the batting and backing, just the paper. When I had the 6 strips sewn on, I trimmed the edges to meed the paper template I was sewing them on to. I hope that makes sense. I made 4 identical triangle pieces and then sewed them together to make the block.
Attached Thumbnails 26109.jpeg  
Old 05-15-2021, 07:49 AM

Thank you, DJ. That did make sense!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Very nice block, DJ!
Old 05-15-2021, 09:50 AM

Queenbarbie, I like the layout Heidi (page 3 of the pattern) did, a little different than the straight up fully mirror version of the block setting.

Last edited by givio; 05-15-2021 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:10 AM

Very pretty, DJ!

I plan to cut half the number of strips and put together as below. I won't get a color meeting in the middle, but it will have a similar look and I won't end up with an extra block.

Attached Thumbnails img_6739_fotor.jpg  
Old 05-15-2021, 10:15 AM

joe'smom, nice solution!
DJ, Thanks for the hint you've used 2" strips. I can take it from there. I knew there would be no need to sign up at the blog! lol
Old 05-15-2021, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

Nice solution, Joe's Mom!