Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos >

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

2021 Old School BOM Discussion and Photos

Old 01-29-2021, 09:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
SBG, pretty purse/bag for your daughter!
now I have to wait until the next block is released on February 20th.
Thanks, Cheesehead! BTW, the release date for blocks is every 12th, not 20th. So we don't have quite so long to wait...

givio, Cheese and DJ, those blocks look so good! Love the fabrics everyone is putting together.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:16 AM

Pooh...I wasn’t planning to participate in a BOM this year but this one looks fun.I also like the idea of challenging myself on a few sewing techniques and fine tuning my piecing skills. I am not home this weekend... it is DH and my turn to care for his 100 year old mother who still lives in her own home but I will be diving into my fabric stash on Monday. Thank you SBG for hosting.

Beverly, I love your fabric selection, in fact I think I have some of that same fabric. Everyone’s blocks look fantastic and I’ll head over to the FB group for more inspiration (sigh).
Old 01-30-2021, 08:28 AM

jmoore, Thanks for coming to the thread! The January block instructions had a very, IMHO, unusual method for 4 patches. Try it if you like, but I just preferred to cut squares and sew 4 patches my usual way... One block a month probably won't take you more than an hour to sew, it seems like a snail's pace for making a quilt top. It will be easy! Looking forward to your pictures.

SBG, pretty in pink! Nice organizer bag!

Cheesehead, I like how your dark pink points stand out. I wish I'd done points with a contrast that stood out better. Live and learn!

DJ, that's a fun selection of fabrics. I imagine they will look nice together over a whole top. :-)

Last edited by givio; 01-30-2021 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:15 AM

I've been following this thread with interest, enjoying everyone's blocks. I'm too embarrassed to join in, as I am still working on the BH mystery and then must complete my Merry Mayhem quilt. But at this pace, perhaps I can catch up when those two projects are finished.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

Good Luck, joe'smom! Don't forget to download the monthly instructions for the blocks, so you don't have to pay for them when you are ready to start. They are only free for 30 days after being posted, I believe....
Old 01-30-2021, 11:48 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by givio View Post
The January block instructions had a very, IMHO, unusual method for 4 patches. Try it if you like, but I just preferred to cut squares and sew 4 patches my usual way...
I thought that too. I did go by the method described but was disappointed that I ended up with an orphan block. It would be fine if I were making more than one block though. I’m not sure the advantage. 4 patches are about the easiest block to make. I’m glad the instructions for the half square triangles were the way I prefer to do them or I would have gone rogue with those!

Thanks for the compliments on my fabrics and block.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by givio View Post
The January block instructions had a very, IMHO, unusual method for 4 patches. Try it if you like, but I just preferred to cut squares and sew 4 patches my usual way... :-)
Thanks for the heads up Givio. I looked at the instructions and it is a different construction of a four patch than I’m used to but will give it a go on the small 4 patches but since one is wasted, I’ll do my regular method on the larger one as not waste.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:53 PM
DJ

Once I had picked out my fabrics, I spent quite a bit of time starching, pressing and straightening them. Now I should be ready to fairly quickly cut and sew the blocks each month.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Jenny Doan has a tute on doing 4 patches that "shortcut" way. The only problem I have with it, is that you have to start with bigger pieces, and if you are working with scraps that may not always be beneficial.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I pulled a small collection from my stash, to use on my first set of blocks.

Attached Thumbnails img_0785.jpg