Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing clips >

Sewing clips

Sewing clips

Old 01-28-2021, 04:30 AM

Default Sewing clips

I've heard many say they use those clips , instead of pins for binding. I tried it.Failed. I do use them here and again to help hold something in place, but binding!!! Couldn't get that. Any helpful hints?
Old 01-28-2021, 04:43 AM

Personally, I don't like the clips either, I gave them to a friend to try and she didn't like them either, so I'm not sure where they ended up at. LOL
Old 01-28-2021, 04:51 AM

What did you not like about them? I smooth the binding onto the quilt and clip. Simply remove them as the binding is stitched.

I use clips for many projects and especially when making bags. They are nice when I don't want any holes in the fabric. Clips don't bend on thick pieces like straight pins. No pokies or ouchies with them. I keep two sizes of clips to use depending on the item.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:56 AM

I use the clips especially when I am doing machine binding for crib size and lap quilts. I have two boxes which lets me clip around the entire quilt and I use pins in the mitered corners.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:57 AM

I use pin to first sew the binding on but use Wonder Clips while hand sewing the binding. Just need 2 or three to hold a section in place. Just love them.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:35 AM

I use them when hand sewing the binding. No losing pins in the chair.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:37 AM

i may depend on how you do your binding. I do my binding by machine. I stitch the binding to the front of the quilt first then turn it to the back. But to stitch down the back side, I again do this from the front of the quilt, so I can make sure my stitching lands in the binding ditch. this means I cannot see on the back to confirm if i am "catching" my binding. I used to pin, which wasn't too effective. Then I tried glueing, which was very effective but time consuming. I have recently tried the clips and they seem to be a happy compromise. not as precise as glueing, but soooo much quicker than both. so if its not a show quilt (have never done one and unlikely ever to do one!), then the clips work good enough for me!
Old 01-28-2021, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I love my clips for hand sewing bindings to the back. Saves my hand from having to hold everything tight.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:44 AM

I have the clover clips but mostly use my silver ones that look like hair clips. curved and you just push them straight to shut them. they are the absolute best to me, still.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:12 AM

I just ordered and received 200 more clips this week. I find them to be great when working on bindings and other projects. Just clip smooth and clip again.