Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
De-Clutter Your Sewing Room Challenge! >

De-Clutter Your Sewing Room Challenge!

De-Clutter Your Sewing Room Challenge!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:27 AM

Default De-Clutter Your Sewing Room Challenge!

Just Get It Done Quilts, an on-line blogger who also has a great video channel is doing a one-month "Declutter Challenge". Each day on her blog she posts a new thing to try to clear out of your sewing room.

It's been really helpful.Have a look.

Watson

De-clutter Challenge
Old 01-29-2021, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

“ the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak” I am lucky to get dressed most days in this lock down.😂
Old 01-29-2021, 12:44 PM

I really enjoy her info on her web site. I didn't realize but this last project that I was beginning to hate, was really a crumb quilt...lol. I'm doing better with my organization but it was good to have a refresher. So easy to get sidetracked. One UFO basted.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:32 AM

The link looks interesting thanks, will check it further when on my laptop.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

She's fun to watch. A little manic sometimes but still fun.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Easy way...

Wish I still had my room full of fabric and tools to de-clutter. Nature did that for me but in too big a way. Here's an easy way to de-clutter. Find quilters/sewers who have lost their homes due to fire (me in August), flood, hurricane, any disaster that takes all away and they have nothing left.

I can now make masks and even a lap quilt due to the kindness of other quilters/sewers, some known and some not, who had more than one tool or extra fabric. Sitting down to sew is soothing, a bit of normal and a creative break to focus on as we continue on this particularly difficult journey to get a home and begin again.

And, I would like to thank all of you again who make donation quilts. We just love, love, love the beautifully made donated quilts we were given after the fire that took our home. I know others who have received them and also very much appreciate

this gift.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Today I spent a good amount of time cleaning, decluttering. I got through the batting scraps- all organized and now fit nicely in a tote, I hung pictures that were stacked under the Longarm, and I went through a bunch of art/ craft stuff I never do anything with and boxed them up for my nephew and his family, the (8 year old) girls are being home schooled and Paula is always sharing pictures of fun crafty things they are doing, and my nephew is often In The pictures helping the girls- they are pretty excited to get some new stuff and I’m pretty excited to got the stuff out of my room. Some of it ( a lot of it) came home with me after my mom passed away 3 years ago and it just takes up space.
tomorrow I will spend the day sewing * Yea! *
first time I’ve had a Sunday since the beginning of November
Old 01-31-2021, 04:05 AM

I like her approach. It makes it all doable. Is not tedious and allows you to see progress immediately. My sewing room has lost much of the "clutter" but is still over full. Need to use more fabric and deal with an ever growing bin of scraps and less than FQ pieces of fabric.

One thing I did but wasn't from "Just Set It Done", was last summer I hung all of my finished tops with their back and or binding on clip hangers. It saves on re-pressing a folded quilt and I can just "grab and go" to finish a UFO. I can see the shift in the number of finishes which makes me feel accomplished. Now it is habit to press and hang what I can't finish immediately. Just another idea that works for me and might work for you.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:47 AM

I enjoy her videos and sense of humor...thanks for the link Watson. Even though my sewing room is tidy, I will enjoy sifting through her blog.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:49 AM

I do watch her once in awhile and she is fun to watch. She does have some amazing ideas and I watched one of her videos that she showed going thru a dollar store and giving ideas of things to use that I would never had thought of. Thanks for sharing