Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there anybody out there....... >

Is there anybody out there.......

Is there anybody out there.......

Old 02-02-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Is there anybody out there.......

That has experience with water proofing fabric. I am looking to make pillows using home decor fabric for use on patios, porches, and decks. I am choosing home decor fabric because all the choices, durable, and denser then quilting cotton. I would like to make them water resistant/proof. I have been doing some homework online, and have found several products that are a spray on water repellent, I'm leaning towards Scotchgard water repellent fabric protector. One of its uses is patio furniture. I have looked at outdoor fabric, whoa on the price.😳 If you use a water repellent on your outdoor cushions/ fabric items, or have waterproofed fabric yourself, and have a preference, I would love to hear your pros/cons. Also, I would like to also hear if you tried a certain product, but it didn't meet your expectations. Thank you in advance for reading and responding.😀
And, just in case your singing Pink Floyd...... DH and I are fans.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

I looked into water proofing fabric for a lounge chair years ago. By the time I bought fabric, water proofed with scotch guard...I could buy the lounge chair set from Walmart way cheaper and no work involved. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 PM

Scotchgrad Is only water repellant not water proof. Hope you find something that works.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:34 PM

If you want it waterproof you have to buy waterproof fabric which has been treated (and the price reflects the treatments). If you are happy with water-repellent then scotchguard is fine but you do have to be very generous with it for it to be effective. I use it to spray fabric bags I have made to help repel the odd light rain shower
Old 02-03-2021, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I’ve used Scotchguard for years. I found after lots of use ( of items I sprayed, like outside cushions) I did need to reapply sometimes- I got in the habit of re- scotchguarding each year when I was getting items out for the season- whether needed or not. Tote bags & jackets I’ve sprayed once and it’s lasted numerous years
Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 AM

I’ve used nikwax to refresher waterproof fleece and it worked great. They sell a line of products and I was planning to use it on cotton on little bags I’ve been making. It’s not a spray, you need to wash the material.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:13 AM

I made cushions for all my chairs on the front porch which are covered by a roof but still they faded after a couple years. Also made cushions and recovered some folding chairs for the back deck, again they faded. Used outdoor fabrics too. Sunbrella I thought was supposed to be fade resistant but guess not. Then a silly squirrel decided to start chewing on my loose pillows on the front porch so had to make new anyway. Still have some outdoor fabric leftover so will use it to make new cushions for the wicker chairs as they will go out back now that I have a sunroom and new patio. I'm sure it will fade and get wet. I did buy some of the Scotchguard water resistant spray but couldn't tell you if it worked or not.

As I did a lot of vinyl embroidery garden stakes I have lots of the vinyl leftover and trying to find a use for it. Thinking of using it in strips to make new cushions for out back. I know vinyl will become hot in the sun so may have to rethink this but at least its water resistant if nothing else. Cork fabric would be softer but its so expensive so will keep searching for ideas.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:19 AM

I have read that the fabric called Sunbrella Rain is waterproof. I have no experience with it myself, but I have seen it sold on fabric.com website.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:14 AM

I have only used Scotchgarde for many years. I always keep a can on hand.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:13 AM

Hobby Lobby has outdoor fabric at reasonable prices (with a sale or coupon). I think mine came from Fabric.com - again a sale. I think the back of the swing that gets full morning sun is slightly faded, but it's not bad for five years.