Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with sewing machine needle adjustment >

Help with sewing machine needle adjustment

Help with sewing machine needle adjustment

Old 02-06-2021, 08:49 PM

Unhappy Help with sewing machine needle adjustment

Hi I joined this forum to ask a question and maybe stay for the passion.

I have a strange issue I can't solve; when I adjust the needle position on my singer 7462, it stops picking up the bobbin thread / or just wont stitch but it works fine in the center position.
I'm sewing on a quilt thickness fabric, I need to adjust the needle position because I have to sew on the edge where the fabric hits the zipper.

Any ideas?
Old 02-07-2021, 05:21 AM

Could you use a zipper foot?
Old 02-07-2021, 05:36 AM

Good idea....mine too.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:02 AM

agree with the above suggestions to use a zipper foot even if you have to buy one. Won't cost as much as to take the machine into service to have it adjusted and also will be quicker. When you have the time, the machine may need adjustments.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure that the zipper foot will help. I have to move the needle position either left or right when using the zipper foot on my machine. I don't know if that's true of all machines.

My only suggestions - Double check with the manual to be sure that you have threaded the bobbin according to the directions for your machine, and follow manual's directions to pick up the bobbin thread before changing the needle position. If that doesn't work, call or email Singer or a Singer technician to ask if there is a quick fix for this problem.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:40 PM

It's likely that the timing is off just a little bit. Most likely the needle/hook distance. There should only be about 1 thread distance between the needle and the point of the hook as it comes around the back of the needle. You can check this my removing the needle plate and bobbin basket.

Some Singers have a small hole in the back, just behind the needle bar. If you put the correct screwdriver, hex or torx in that hole and turn, it will change the needle/hook distance. It may not be adjustable on your machine, as some of the lighter weight Singers don't have an internal frame to hold that setting.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM

I don't have a Singer, so this might be completely inaccurate. But don't *some* Singers require needles that are a tiny bit longer than the norm? Seems to me I've heard that somewhere....
Old 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't have a Singer, so this might be completely inaccurate. But don't *some* Singers require needles that are a tiny bit longer than the norm? Seems to me I've heard that somewhere....
That is true for Featherweights. The only needle that will fit perfectly for them is the Schmetz Universal Needles ~ Size 80/12. Fits the Singer Featherweight 221 and 222 perfectly!
Old 02-09-2021, 09:58 AM

I was able to fix it you guys.
Well, not really but I found a work around.
Apparently the timing is off so adjusting the needle changes the timing, but I was able to move the needle all the way to the right instead of all the way to the left and still be able to get the same effect I wanted. Then I broke my machine lol thanks