Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pressing to light side >

Pressing to light side

Pressing to light side

Old 02-09-2021, 09:04 AM

Default Pressing to light side

Good morning -

I have been online everywhere trying to find the best thing to do, and since I'm still unsure, I really need some sage advice from the Board.

Making flying geese for the first time, with the geese considerably darker than the sky. I've done a sample pressing open, pressing toward the sky, and doing a combination of both (suggestion from the Board.)

My accuracy is sketchy, but what I'm really worried about is the larger issue of pressing dark toward light. Would anyone be willing to share their experiences after quilts are washed and used?

thanks,
charlotte the ditherer

Old 02-09-2021, 10:18 AM

There are times that it just makes sense to press to the light side--especially when it will help to nest the seams. If my light fabric is thinner or a looser weave, I have been known to trim a smidgen more of the dark fabric (or alternately, leave the light fabric seam allowance a little 'fat') so that I won't end up with a dark shadow.

There are no hard and fast rules about pressing or trimming. You have to do what it takes to make the project work.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:10 PM

I always press to the "sky" on Flying geese no matter the color. Imho anything else creates too much bulk at the point. If the sky is light,as well as light weight, and I can see the seam underneath, I try to make sure I clip the dark so that it is not showing.

All that said, you need to find what works for you. What method are you using? I am a big fan of the 4 at a time method. If you have quite a few to make, check it out.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 PM

nothing wrong with pressing towards the light. like the others said, you may need to trim your dark seam allowance a bit narrower so it doesn't stick out. and watch for any stray thread that may migrate under the light fabric and show through.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:33 AM

I am all for pressing the fabric in the direction it makes sense....which is anyway it reduces bulk at the seams and what ever way it means the seams can "nest" together the best. I love patterns that tell me the way to press the fabric. It just makes the whole putting it together so much easier. Now, I have pressed to light and honestly, I can't remember a quilt where after I washed it and put it on the bed that I looked at it and said "oh my goodness...look at the shadow of that seam showing through". Not saying it can't happen, but I have never noticed it. I do use quilt shop cotton for the most part and don't do a lot of piecing with pure white fabric though. If you use light weight very light fabric, it could happen. but I wouldn't use that kind of fabric on a bed quilt anyway.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

I press to the light when I want to nest seams, a nice intersection is what counts the most to me.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:09 AM

It depends but I press to the light when it makes the seam flatter. I also will trim the dark to make sure it doesn't show through.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

With some blocks it's unavoidable. I don't worry about it.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:57 AM

I always press seams open, makes sewing blocks together easier, less bulk at the seams
Old 02-11-2021, 09:08 AM

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I can analyze forever and never start the project.

Betty, I have the triangulations software and am waiting on lightweight paper. My problem so far has been the goose triangle sliding around. But I think it could work. I have also cut the 3 triangles with the Easy and Companion angles, which seems to work fine except at the point. I am thinking I would use the two methods together if the new paper isn't slippery.

Maybe pressing open would be less distortion if I had paper behind it. But at least I know that experienced quilters are pressing to the light.

hugs,
charlotte