Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with White Family Rotary Treadle Cabinet >

Need help with White Family Rotary Treadle Cabinet

Need help with White Family Rotary Treadle Cabinet

Old 02-15-2021, 11:37 AM

Default Need help with White Family Rotary Treadle Cabinet

Just finished restoring the cabinet to the Mission Style sewing machine cabinet. I had to replace the top cover because it had rotted through from being in someone's garage and dripped on through the years. I refitted the wire pulley system that raises and lowers the machine. But when I placed the sewing machine back in the cabinet the wire is too loose the raise the machine completely. What to do? How do I tighten the wire so that the cabinet opens properly? Sounds like an easy fix but I have been troubling with it. I can't seem to get to the wire connection underneath because the front flap that says White covers it and I don't have the strength to pull the wire tight enough to raise the machine and connect it through the screw on top. Make any sense? Is there a trick to this?
Attached Thumbnails wire.jpg  
Old 02-17-2021, 06:16 AM

I have a Franklin clone of a Singer 27 in a parlor cabinet (I think it's called that) where opening the top lifts the machine up and out via a cable. Mine was not lifting up the machine all the way, underneath the pan is a screw mechanism where the screw, a rather large one, has a slot in the head that locks it on the bar running front to back. When in the up position the machine can be lifted up such that there is no pressure on this screw so it can be adjusted.

Look for something similar?
Attached Thumbnails img_20210217_080851741.jpg  
Old 02-17-2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I have a Franklin clone of a Singer 27 in a parlor cabinet (I think it's called that) where opening the top lifts the machine up and out via a cable. Mine was not lifting up the machine all the way, underneath the pan is a screw mechanism where the screw, a rather large one, has a slot in the head that locks it on the bar running front to back. When in the up position the machine can be lifted up such that there is no pressure on this screw so it can be adjusted.

Thanks! I'll have a closer look. It should be that hard to fix this. I would think through the years that the wire eventually stretches or gives way.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:17 AM

i have that exact cabinet and machine, only my cabinet does not have the WHITE lettering on the front, not sure why it doesn't. Anyway, I have not had to mess with the cable, so I'm not sure I can be of any help. Maybe I can peek under there and see if I notice anything that may help you.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:57 PM

Default Mission Cabinet Wire Issue

Originally Posted by n4c4c4 View Post
Thanks! I'll have a closer look. It should be that hard to fix this. I would think through the years that the wire eventually stretches or gives way.
Hi, I just bought a White Rotary machine in the Mission Cabinet. I'm seeing that there is an issue with the wire and a bit concerned about messing with it! The back of the machine is not seating flush, it's about an inch below the table. Front of machine seats perfectly. The table seems very dry and I'm worried about the wire attachment coming apart because the wood seems fragile. BTW mine also does not have the WHITE wooden letters on it!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Fixing the Wire Lift on a White Mission Cabinet

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post

Hi, I just got a White Rotary machine in a Mission cabinet and am having problems with the wire lift. It doesn't lift the machine all the way up, and the wood of the cabinet is very dry...also the lift mechanism makes a wonky sound when I try to lift the machine up, I have to use my hands to pull the machine up and there are awful sounds....I suppose I will have to take the machine head off and flip the cabinet to see what's going on....If anyone has any advice, I'd sure appreciate it!!!! Thanks.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Wire Lift Issue with White Rotary Mission Cabinet, asking for advice!

Hi, I just got a White Rotary machine in a Mission cabinet and am having problems with the wire lift. It doesn't lift the machine all the way up, and the wood of the cabinet is very dry...also the lift mechanism makes a wonky sound when I try to lift the machine up, I have to use my hands to pull the machine up and there are awful sounds....I suppose I will have to take the machine head off and flip the cabinet to see what's going on....If anyone has any advice, I'd sure appreciate it!!!! Thanks.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 AM

I would start with what you suggest, removing the machine, and checking the lift mechanism without the weight of the machine. There may be some lubrication points. Pictures would be helpful too.