Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Thread for Bed Quilts >

Bobbin Thread for Bed Quilts

Bobbin Thread for Bed Quilts

Old 02-22-2021, 04:53 AM

Default Bobbin Thread for Bed Quilts

What bobbin thread do you use when quilting quilts destined for using on beds?

I hear a lot of quilters say they use a finer thread in their bobbins...which I also do...but read the other day that you shouldn't do that with quilts that are destined for use because it won't hold up.

So, should you use the same thread...say a King Tut...top and bottom?

Just wondering what other people think.

Watson
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM

I do not adjust my thread for a bed quilt. However, I usually use Bottom Line in my bobbin, or sometimes So Fine. Both are thin polyester threads, but they are pretty strong. I think quilting density might also impact how much tension is put on your stitches. At my house, my couch quilts seem to get treated much more roughly than my bed quilts. I haven't yet had any bad experience with bobbin threads breaking in a quilt, but I imagine time will tell.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Good quality threads will probably outlast the quilt. Think of the antique quilts with poor quality cotton thread and most of them last 100 years or more.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:30 AM

I use the same thread on both the top and bobbin end. I use Glide thread which is very strong.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM

I use Glide thread, top and bottom, too. I use it on my longarm and dam. It's strong, almost no lint, great colors and it is polyester. It's thin, too.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM

I always use the same thread. my machine is picky that way.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM

Regardless of the use of the quilt, I FMQ with Metro Embroidery Thread, top and bottom.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 AM

I use same thread top and bottom--aurifl thread. My experience when I forgot to change the bobbin thread. I had a terrible time with thread breaking and could not figure out why until it finally dawned on me what it could be. Sure enough. Changed bobbin and all was fine.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I use coats and clarks quilting thread top and bobbin. I haven't had any issues with it.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM

I have had two quilts that the quilting thread broke after years of use. One I used something called "star" cotton thread on, it was supposed to be for quilting. The other quilt I believe was king tut varieated thread. Both of these quilts were used and washed. One had dogs jumping up on it. I now use Superior threads so fine for the bobbin in most of my quilting on the long arm...when I first started out on the longarm, I used OMNI. I have a good supply of that and am debating with myself over what I can use that up for. It is a a good poly thread with a matt finish but it is thicker than the so fine. I would like to use it up...I am not a great quilter so need to find some "busy" quilts to use it up on. umm...I have the big cones of it so each cone will make a few quilts.