Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best thread for Bernina 240 >

Best thread for Bernina 240

Best thread for Bernina 240

Old 03-08-2021, 11:30 AM

Question Best thread for Bernina 240

I've been quilting for awhile, but still consider myself to be a beginner! Just bought a used Bernina and the former owner said not to use cotton thread as Berninas do not like cotton. This doesn't fit with all other advice I've ever read about quilting, i.e. use cotton thread for cotton fabric. I've used Connecting Threads cotton for other projects with my old Brother machine with no problem. I would appreciate any advice from other Bernina owners!
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM

I find the owner's advice weird. I have a Brother and I can sew with any thread, yes even metallic and invisible. I wouldn't buy a machine if I was told I couldn't use something as commonly used and widely available as cotton.

Have you actually tried cotton thread in this Bernina to see what happens? Some people pass along incorrect info, such as not using poly thread with cotton quilts because they claim poly thread will cut the cotton. This is an old wives tale and has been proven inaccurate many times over.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:35 AM

I've had and have now Bernina machines and I've not had any problems using cotton or any other thread. Mine take anything I put in them. I almost always use Aurifil 50 weight cotton thread for piecing, but occasionally use a poly thread if I have it in the right color. Perhaps the prior owner had a bad experience with a bargain basement cotton....
Old 03-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

I like Aurifil for piecing on my Bernina. I have never heard to use a certain thread with Bernina. Try the thread you usually sew with and see if it works.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:11 PM

If I remember correctly. Bernina uses Mettler metrosene thread (this is a poly) to calibrate their machines with when they come from the factory. Most machine manufacturers pick a thread to use as the standard when adjusting their machines. However, most machines will do well with most quality threads. I use mostly Aurfil 50 weight cotton, and Mettler so soft 50 weight cotton threads in my Bernina and don't have problems with those threads. I also have used the old standby dual duty coats and clark when have the color I want as I used to use that thread years ago. I have also used some Superior so fine poly thread with no problems. I say, try them Years ago, I used "Star" thread and I did have problems with that one breaking. Also, use a needle recommended for the size and type of thread you are using.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 406BA View Post
I've been quilting for awhile, but still consider myself to be a beginner! Just bought a used Bernina and the former owner said not to use cotton thread as Berninas do not like cotton. This doesn't fit with all other advice I've ever read about quilting, i.e. use cotton thread for cotton fabric. I've used Connecting Threads cotton for other projects with my old Brother machine with no problem. I would appreciate any advice from other Bernina owners!
When I bought my first Bernina (1630), I had people tell me all sorts of stuff starting with "Berninas don't like . . ." I never found any of it to be true. I've used a cotton, rayon, mettallic, sliver, nylon, poly, just about any thread you can think of with my Berninas over the last 30 years. I did have to drop my top tension WAY down when using sliver or it would break but other than that I don't remember having to even adjust much for any of the threads.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I've used cotton for piecing in my Bernina, though now I prefer using a thin poly thread (Bottom Line) because it takes up less room in the seam and doesn't produce lint like cotton threads do. (I still get lint, but much less since it's only from the fabric.) If the machine's previous owner thought Berninas didn't like cotton it was probably because someone told her that, or she tried it once and had problems. It's a myth that Berninas don't like cotton, just as it's a myth that you should only use cotton thread with cotton fabric.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:07 PM

Your Bernina has adjustable upper and lower tensions. These can be adjusted to work with any thread. Some people are afraid to adjust their tensions. Just remember that they were made adjustable, so you could adjust them. Don't be afraid to play with your tension! I've found with my Bernina 230 (which is basically the same as your 240) that I have to tighten the tension when I want to use polyester thread. However, I have my machine tensions set for cotton thread. At the shop where I work, we set the tensions for cotton threads.

Remember that poor quality thread will give you a poor quality stitch. There are lots of great threads out there, just don't buy the 10 for a dollar type threads, and you should be fine.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I have 2 Berninas and have never had a problem with any thread at all.
I agree with the poster who said don't use cheap thread.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:36 AM

Thank you all for your responses!