Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Keep Bernina 1010 or get new Janome? Help! >

Keep Bernina 1010 or get new Janome? Help!

Keep Bernina 1010 or get new Janome? Help!

Old 03-08-2021, 06:43 PM

Default Keep Bernina 1010 or get new Janome? Help!

Hi. I am new to this board. I have known how to sew since I was in middle school, and I recently discovered a love for quilt top piecing. I have a Bernina 1010 which I got in 1992 (it was the entry level Bernina at the time I got it). I have the option of getting a new mid-range sewing machine for my birthday, should I choose to (I would probably look at Janome machines). My question is, do I just stick with the basic Bernina, or would it be worth it to upgrade to a newer Janome machine with more sewing options? I've never used anything other than Bernina (it's what my mom had when I was growing up), so I really don't know anything about any other brand. Thank you for any help and advice you can give!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:03 PM

I would try out the Janome machines to see if you like them. There are a lot of new features available that weren't around in 1992 and you may find you really like them. I have 2 Berninas and a Janome. I got my Bernina 1260 in 1993. It still runs like a champ and I still love it. Nothing sews like a Bernina - the precision is unmatched, but the price is high and you can get more features for your money with Janome. You have to try out a Janome before you can decide what's right for you.

But if you buy a new machine, keep the 1010. It's a workhorse and a great backup machine.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:19 PM

I agree. Bring in a quilt sandwich and test drive. Keep Bernie just because!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:42 PM

Absolutely keep your old Bernina. But you might really like the new bells and whistles on a Janome.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:05 PM

I've had lots of Berninas over the years, and prefer my Janome 8900. I found that the features on the Berninas sounded great, but did't always work well. I'd bring in thin fabric, slippery fabric, etc, -- whatever you like to sew on. One of the problems with the Berninas was that the top layer always moved forward a bit faster than the bottom layer. Maybe that's been fixed.