Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finally remembered graph paper >

Finally remembered graph paper

Finally remembered graph paper

Old 03-14-2021, 11:03 AM

Default Finally remembered graph paper

Making a pattern I've done before. Sew 16 patch to measure 8.5 square and then cut 4.5 white squares with 2.5" squares (scrappy) on opposite corners that make an X. (Sew and flip method.) Need 4 for the illusion of the X. Using odd jelly rolls. Last night started sewing JR strips together to cut into pairs and then 4 and then eventually block with 16 squares. Truly scrappy. Today picked up where I left off. But then a little voice in my head said, no shouted "STOP. GRAPH. COUNT." And to my amazement, I have enough "chunks" of scrappy to make the 18 that I need and probably just enough 2.5" squares for the X. So TY to the quilter here that told me graph paper is your best friend...I graphed out the quilt...and the voice in my head. Next will be to count the while squares but that's easier to manage.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

So glad you found “ Graph Paper “ helpful. I would be lost without it. I buy pads of 100 sheets and even have a pad that is huge (18” wide by 30” long !) that was in my mom’s stuff. ( she was an artist and even designed a couple houses, which is probably why she had such big graph paper)
Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 AM

Years ago I came across a blank book in an art supply store. The top 2/3 of each page was graph paper, the bottom third was ruled so it made a perfect place for notes. Each page had a "Project:________________" at the top. I snatched that book up even though it was pricey. I haven't seen another one since but would love to have one for all the crafts I do. It's particularly handy if you want to recreate something as I write everything down , including what problems I encountered.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

I haven't seen another one since but would love to have one for all the crafts I do

Why not take a blank page and print copies of it to put in a binder?
Old 03-27-2021, 12:39 PM

My iPad Notes app includes an option for a grid section. It has been wonderful for quilt planning.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:55 PM

I use graph paper all the time. Sometimes I have a place on a quilt that I need to put a certain size block in and have to get out the ole' graph paper and figure out the size. Works every time