Zipper Ends Question

Old 03-16-2021, 08:48 AM

Default Zipper Ends Question

Hi...I enjoy making pouches but wanted to know do these zipper ends look very bad? I know how to do zipper tabs but mine never come out good, they are either crooked or both ends are not the same size so I have been just not doing them. I see a lot of Youtube tutorials where they don't put the zipper tabs in and was wondering if you thought this was acceptable. Thank you for your input.

Attached Thumbnails ziptab1.jpg   ziptab2.jpg   ziptab3.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:23 AM

Cute little bag - very nice colors! This looks fine and most people won't notice it.

In the second picture, it looks like that corner was just very stubborn about popping out all the way. You might be able to force it out with an awl from the outside, but you have to be very gentle and patient with it.

When I put zipper tabs on, I usually make them an inch or so longer than required. I mark the center of the zipper tape not including the tabs, then match to the center marks on the bags, so that way, the tabs will be very close in size. Cut off the excess after the side seams are sewn.

If one side is a tad longer after it's all sewn, it's not going to be noticeable.

I usually use zipper "caps" rather than tabs, because that keeps the zipper out of the side seam entirely. That's where you encase the zipper ends with folded fabric and topstitch the fabric to the zipper ends.

I sometimes adjust the length of the zipper to make sure that my seam allowance will clear the zipper caps by at least an eighth of an inch and use a zipper foot to get close to that cap without sewing into it.

The picture shows the "caps" on the ends of the zippers. These are done with cork, but the same applies to fabric.
Attached Thumbnails 2tone-wristlet-thumb.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 AM

I prefer the zipper done as you have made it work. Looks very finished that way.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:03 AM

Cute bag. I like the way you did the zipper. The look of the bag is great. The color and the bit of bling go together so nicely.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty bags.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 PM

The 3rd picture ... zipper looks awesome!
Old 03-23-2021, 07:36 AM

I too struggled with zipper tabs looking right. The instructions I have say to cut the zipper 1" smaller than opening. I increased that to 1 1/2" and I think it looks better and the tab seems to go right next to seam allowance, not squishy and weird like before. Hope this makes sense and that it helps!