Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nontraditional Featherweight Case? >

Nontraditional Featherweight Case?

Nontraditional Featherweight Case?

Old 04-07-2021, 09:35 AM

Default Nontraditional Featherweight Case?

Has anyone found a non-traditional Case for a 221 Featherweight? I have my original working case in good order but the smell! Yes, I have replaced the felt pad, ect. It's not the machine, it's the actual case. It can be any manufacturer. Any ideas for a tote?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:52 AM

I've picked up a couple of useful cases at Harbor Freight, my favorite is a rolling toolcase with a telescoping handle. It's meant for tools but fits my Brother perfectly. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything I thought would be useful lately, although come to think of it, I haven't been to HF in about 9 months. 🤔

Have you tried placing baking soda or charcoal inside for a week or so? Maybe leave it sitting open in the sun for a couple of days?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Have you tried placing baking soda or charcoal inside for a week or so? Maybe leave it sitting open in the sun for a couple of days?
I don't have a featherweight but I know those cases are notorious for stinking to high heaven. It's the old hide glue in them.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's much you can do to de-stink them.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:50 AM

I have tried all the ways to de stink, it works for a while but it comes back. My son suggested looking at bowling ball cases, and actually that might work.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:50 AM

The Featherweight Shop sells a deodorizer that they claim will work:

This product claims to be the best at eliminating, (not just covering up) all organic odors - including, but not limited to the Singer Featherweight Case. We believe it works very well for smelly cases, too! We've even tested it on odoriferous vehicles, shoes, pet smells, strong cooking odors, etc. It's even been tested in mortuaries! It can be sprayed, poured or wiped directly on the source of the odor. There are approximately 200 squirts per 1 oz. bottle, but it is highly concentrated and even a bad smelling case would only need a few squirts. For mild odors, one or two squirts will suffice, but for stronger, moderate smelling odors try 3-4 squirts. Close case lid and let sit for a couple hours. Repeat as necessary. For extreme musty-smelling cases, please review the Featherweight Schoolhouse tutorial regarding case odors for additional odor-eliminating techniques.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

The stink comes from the glue made from horse hooves that was used in the earlier cases. Nothing will get it out for good as its embedded in the case. There is a nice case on the Featherweight shops online. And think Quilt in a Day had some.

https://singer-featherweight.com/col...nt=38426897731

https://featherweightdoctor.com/prod...shoulder-strap

Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 PM

Of course there are reproduction cases, totes, etc. I have seen someone that found a file case (from office supply store) that the FW fit in. I'm thinking it was a vintage one and was a little sturdier. Of course you will have to check internal dimensions and some sewing machine totes will need some padding, too. I'm not sure about the measurements, but perhaps something like https://www.officesupply.com/office-...ck/p36387.html or https://www.officesupply.com/office-...ack/p7337.html

A couple of reproductions https://www.amazon.com/Desk-Daves-Ca...N3ANJNHZB95XG5
https://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/P60221NS.php

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 PM

I bought a tool case for mine from a big box hardware store. It has a plastic bottom just almost exactly the size of the FW and a cloth top. A few internal pockets and a bunch of external ones. I know it was less than $30, maybe closer to $20. I love it.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:41 AM

Thank y'all for the suggestions
Old 04-08-2021, 07:23 AM

for the smell I finally made a pouch with activated charcoal and placed it in each of the cases I have, I have 2 machines. I am leaving it in on a permeant basis. I took it out for a short period of time and the odor came back some. The charcoal is resolving the problem. I picked up the charcoal at a local pet shop and made a small pouch out of some unbleached muslin
I also purchased another case for one on my machines. The case for one was more fragile that I would have it for carrying it around. I need to get that one reworked someday. The new case came from an online source and cost me somewhere around $60. It is slightly larger than the original case but works well.