Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need quilting ideas >

Need quilting ideas

Need quilting ideas

Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM

Default Need quilting ideas

Hello all,

I have two questions. First, do you think it’s okay to leave the white background without any additional quilting? It is all secured with SITD and batting says 10” apart.

Second, what the heck should I quilt in the outer border?? I am stumped. Fabric is busy so likely won’t really show. I am thinking something less dense to contrast with the interlocking daisy pattern in the inner borders.

quilt1.jpg quilt2.jpg

Last edited by tnewman772; 04-24-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:21 AM

Pretty quilt...I think you are fine leaving the white as it is without further quilting and dor the borders I would do a loosely floral design or just loopy loops so it is not too densely quilted. I often use Amanda Murphy’s floral design. Nice job on what you’ve done so far.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I would just do a large Stipple in the borders.

I always leave no less than 3-4" of space no matter what batting package says. Large spaces will eventually lump with washings. Just my opinion.

Your quilt is beautiful at this point.

Welcome to this board. Lots with different opinions and help.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt! The white should be fine If you SITD. As for the final border, you will need a fairly dense design to match the last border design or you will end up with a wavy edge.
Old 04-25-2021, 05:32 AM

Your quilting so far is beautiful. I think you can do almost anything in the border; the fabric is so busy it is unlikely to show.

On the white background, I’m afraid if you leave it unquilted it will shout “Look at me”, especially if you wash the quilt. Because light colors tend to advance toward the viewer anyway, I would think some simple quilting will help keep the background in the background. Maybe just some straight lines perpendicular to the short side of the rectangles or matchsticks, with spaces between?
Old 04-25-2021, 06:16 AM

Very pretty quilt! i think something simple in the borders would be fine. Maybe an echoed zigzag? Or a rectangle, which would sorta mimic the shapes in the blocks.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:18 AM

I am not very good at quilting designs....so I meander Plus a lot over-all. Umm, maybe some pebbles in the white area? The curvers would contrast with the line movement of the the blocks?
Old 04-25-2021, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely put some quilting in the white space of the blocks, for the reasons SuzSLO stated. I love your quilt, the design and the colors and the quilting so far.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:06 AM

Very pretty quilt and I think the white is just fine the way you have it. I have no idea of any quilting designs for your border but I know you will get a lot of suggestions from members here
Old 04-25-2021, 07:08 AM

You could do loopy meander, wishbones or a spiral swirl in the border. I would probably put something in the white since everything else is quilted, you could do a continuous curve in the white squares and maybe echo the rectangular shapes.