Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window by hand--am I nuts? >

Cathedral Window by hand--am I nuts?

Cathedral Window by hand--am I nuts?

Old 04-27-2021, 06:10 AM

Default Cathedral Window by hand--am I nuts?

Hello--

I really enjoy hand piecing and working with small pieces does not bother me. I don't have a sewing room so every time I do any sewing it is a hurry up get out everything--use the dining room table then clean up for dinner type of situation. Yes on the weekends it is easier, but I tend to not bother getting everything out at night etc. Anyway, I have always loved the Cathedral window pattern. Has anyone ever tackled doing a quilt by hand using the Cathedral window pattern? Any tips if you have. I did find a site that had yardage quantities. Still shocking to think of 20 yards or more of fabric. Anyway, any advice would be helpful.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

Hand work is an enjoyable activity. I might start with a Cathedral Window pillow top first to see if you want to continue.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Cathedral windows was traditionally done by hand, so no, you're not nuts. It does make a heavy quilt, but very beautiful. It's not so much fabric if you realize you don't need a backing or batting.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Cathedral Windows is a pattern that you can have something, even if you don't finish it!

Here's my story, that perhaps will inspire you ....
When I made my first quilt, it seemed somewhat impossible for me as a beginner.
I chose a scrappy sampler pattern.
Decided, if I only did one block, I could at least have a pillow cover.
Done .. and two would give me a smaller runner
Then, three a larger runner ..... and four would be a nice topper.
Next it was .... six a small baby quilt.
Get the picture?
Guess what? .... I finished the quilt at about 100" square!!!
Not bad for a pillow top!

So go for it and I'll look forward to watching your progress!
Old 04-27-2021, 08:01 AM

I'm agreeing with Dunster that it was traditionally done as a carry along project/by-hand. I've seen many made by a mom in the background while some sort of game or practice was going on with the kids in the foreground.

It once was on my bucket list, it is now at "yeah, never gonna happen". I do have a couple of fun old late 70s/early80s books on techniques and setting ideas.

As for the yardage, you are doing front/back all at the same time. Consider minimum it takes 6 yards to make a back and 10-12 yards for the average top -- it's not so bad Goal was to use up your tiny scraps and just buy the main yardage (usually solid).
Old 04-27-2021, 09:25 AM

Make a few practice blocks first to see how you like it before you purchase new yardage. I love the pattern but quickly changed my mind when I tried it. I hope you love it, it would be a great carry along project.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:51 PM

Your set up sounds like mine! I prefer hand piecing as well and keep my projects on the kitchen counter so I can work and mind the kids during the day.

The layering and curves of Catherdral Windows is fascinating and surely will require more fabric than project with end-to-end piecing. I'm considering making monogrammed centers for this pattern and then finishing into a throw pillow as gifts next holiday season. You have inspired me to consider hand sewing the curves to hide the stitches and make the mystery more beautiful!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:30 PM

If you want to practice do what I did. I made two squares and joined them back to back to make a Christmas ornament. I sewed them together on three sides and attached narrow ribbon to make a "handle" for hanging. I put a candy or trinket inside the mini bag it formed. Bonus, I exhibited it at a local fair under Christmas ornaments and got a ribbon!
Old 05-04-2021, 03:20 AM

My favorite pattern. Made 3 queen size. All hand work.
My first cw went on vacation with us 3 places.
Made mine watching TV each niight.
To me it is therapy. Took bout a year to complete each one.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:12 AM

Several years ago I decided to make a cathedral window quilt for my king size bed. Loved doing it. When I started putting it together I soon realized it would weigh a “ton”. Decided to make a few table runners instead.