Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of a color? >

Tired of a color?

Tired of a color?

Old 04-28-2021, 05:32 AM

Default Tired of a color?

Do you ever get tired of a popular color. Seems as if they last forever and never move on to something new and fresh. I've used teal and gray in a lot of my Project Linus Quilts and would love to see something new come along that is gender neutral. Is this just me?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:03 AM

Once I made my 1st scrappy quilt I was hooked. Seems most of my quilts are now in a scrappy fashion though may be controlled scrappy meaning all in one color family. And to think I wouldn't touch anything scrappy years ago and then I made a Bonnie Hunter pattern and then I was hooked.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:29 AM

I love gray as a fashion color but haven't worked with it a lot. I do go in trends of what colors I want to work with. Couple of years ago I did a lot in browns, I have declared this year the year of the brights. Maybe next year my eyes will need a rest from the brights. Hard to say at this point.

Back in the 30s, green and yellow was the neutral combination. I tend to use a focus fabric (which can end up as the back) and choose the colors from there whether it is primary or pastel or theme.

Snooze, for me it was Scrap Quilts by Judy Martin. The directions are out of style now, templates even! But the pictures and discussion are still valuable.
https://www.amazon.com/Scrap-Quilts-.../dp/096029709X
Before that I always did what I now call "planned quilts" and I had never seen a scrap quilt I considered attractive. Maybe because I don't have a family background of quilts.

Now, I work almost exclusively in scraps or what I'm currently thinking of as collections.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I tend to work primarily scrappy, too. Just two colors in a quilt would bore me to the point of not wanting to finish it.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:24 AM

What I find is that I use up my stash in one color and then I have a gap. At one point teal/aqua was in alot of my quilts and then I didn't have any teal and aqua! But the yellow/gold started to overflow. Gave me a good opportunity to realize I needed to break out of a color rut.

Iceblossom - That book looks fabulous! I have a number of older books that I absolutely love. I look at them all the time. Several of them I purchased at Quilt Show 'Garage Sales' (There must be a better term for that.) One of my favorite parts of a quilt show is the 'Garage Sales'!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I only use colors I like. I like blues with pinks and oranges. I do love the new Horizon color by Kona and bought a lot of that. Seeing the color in person, its so much prettier then seeing it in a picture. I using it with bright white to make a two color quilt.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:38 AM

For the first time in many years I have not been doing a lot of scrappy quilts. I am still hooked on scrappy quilting but I bought my Accuquilt system and have been experimenting with different patterns and dies. I find my stash is getting more of a workout now than ever before. With COVID always in the front of my mind I have been knocking off one quilt top after another. I am getting ready to do another and using more yardage than ever. The bigger problem is I am having a problem finding my cutting table. I am finding that I have gravitated to more oranges and turquois and greens.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:28 AM

I know I am tired of team colors which tend to run only two colors, Ole Miss' red/blue combination and the Steelers' black/gold combination. It seems like the past few baby quilts that I have made have been the gray/yellow combination. Not a gray fan but young mothers seem to love it.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I was thrilled to see whites and grays come into popularity! And sending browns and tans to the back. (and avocado green and burnt orange) Never likes that combo even as a kid.
So I'm for more whites for backgrounds, and all shades of gray may find their way into my projects.
I have also been doing scrappy quilts-thanks to Bonnie Hunter. Hooked! Great way to use up those smaller pieces.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I didn't use to like scrappy quilts. Now I love them, variety of colors and I can use up my scraps.