Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli Rings >

Martelli Rings

Martelli Rings

Old 05-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Default Martelli Rings

I'd just like to update my prior response (when, I don't remember) about these rings. These rings have made such a difference in my quilting and I love that my hands are not in gloves. I just love my rings!! My friend just bought a set (11" and 8" rings). She called to tell me how displeased she was with them! Yikes! So in our discussion, it became apparent she and I had different types of Martellii rings. I purchased mine in 2014 and the are not a solid ring. There is a space, approximately 3/4" that allows the ring to slide thru the pressure foot area. On hers that she just purchased, it is a "notched" area and the ring is solid. That makes it very difficult to work with. You simply cannot just slide the ring in and out of the way to change thread, change rings, change quilting techniques. You would literally have to tie off thread - inside the ring and then remove. We just could not believe we both had Martelli rings with such a difference in the design. We both feel that the rings need to have an opening. She went ahead and used a hack saw and a hot knife to make an opening on both of her rings. Since I didn't realize Martelli had changed their design, I was giving thumbs up review only now to realize I wasn't comparing apples to apples and vice versa! My apologies if I somehow lead anyone astray - I just didn't know Martelli had made a design change.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I have some rings by another company. I didn't like fiddling with them, so I just puddle my quilts. Whatever works.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Just when you find something you like it’s either changed or discontinued. ☹️
Old 05-03-2021, 12:04 PM

I have the closed Martelli ring with the notch, and am able to slide it through the presser foot area because the presser foot mechanism can be lifted slightly to allow for this (Handiquilter Sweet 16). Martelli also now makes a version of the ring that isn't a ring, but two separate pieces with the gripper material that you hold in the hands separately (I haven't tried this). I would not be able to quilt at all without my ring because of hand issues, so am very thankful for it. Is it possible that your friend's presser foot mechanism can be lifted slightly to remove the ring?