Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HIgh Shank or Low Shank? >

HIgh Shank or Low Shank?

HIgh Shank or Low Shank?

Old 05-29-2021, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Default HIgh Shank or Low Shank?

Is there a comprehensive table or listing - somewhere - of what kind of shank a sewing machine has?

HIgh/tall or low/short? Most of the manuals I have do not list that - or if they did, I missed it -
Old 05-29-2021, 03:01 PM

If you do a search for "how do I tell if my sewing machine is high or low shank?" You will get get several hits. It looks like a lot of the different makes of machines, have made both high and low shank machines or something else. This is one site I found ---sewingmachinebuffs.com/how-do-i-know-if-my-sewing-machine-is-high-or-low-shank/
Old 05-29-2021, 05:06 PM

Years ago I got a pdf from "Sewing with Nancy" that listed a lot of machines and which shank they used. It was mainly for those who wanted to buy some specialty feet, so they would know if it would work with their machine. It was fairly accurate, but I did notice at least one discrepancy. I was looking for another pdf that I got off a Yahoo Group. I can't find either available, currently.

I did find https://sheloves2sew.com/what-is-a-l...ewing-machine/ It shows the feet and the measurements. Kenmore machines had some high shank and super high shanks, which many places fail to identify. This link shows the actual feet and two diagrams. I noticed that the one that said it was from amazon.co.uk - I could not find. The Janome gives different measurement, by a little bit the the one above it.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 05-30-2021, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Is there a comprehensive table or listing - somewhere - of what kind of shank a sewing machine has?

HIgh/tall or low/short? Most of the manuals I have do not list that - or if they did, I missed it -
Angela Walters just put a YouTube up about this a few days ago.
https://youtu.be/OtZJWVTEdws
Old 05-31-2021, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Thank you.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:46 AM

Of the many machines that I have here I only have one with a long shank and one with a slant shank. So I keep this in mind when ordering and new feet. I also keep in mind which machines cannot use a walking foot for this same reason. This was easier for me than finding a list of all models that had what. If I were buying a machine I would telephone the dealer for the information. I wouldn't know where to look for a list like this. Best of luck.