Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Recommendations Please >

Batting Recommendations Please

Batting Recommendations Please

Old 05-31-2021, 06:58 AM

Default Batting Recommendations Please

Considering fusible batting for a hand sewn top. I believe the process is straight forward: lay it down, iron it, it sticks. Right? Should I still pin baste it to make doubly sure it doesn't shift?

Also, what brands or types have you have the most success with?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:28 AM

I have not always heard favorable things about the fusible batting. I would test in on a very small project first to see how it stands up to what you want to do on a larger project.
I have been using Elmer's Washable School Glue for over a year now and found it to be as close to perfect as I can get it. There are a number of tutorials on this method. It is pretty easy to run a line of glue on one side press it and then turn over the quilt and repeat the process. When the quilt is done you wash your quilt and you are done. Just be sure you use the washable Elmer's School glue.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:41 PM

The fusible batting is much friendlier for small quilts. Even on a twin, I would pin about a foot apart to keep the layers from coming apart.

Last edited by Sheri.a; 05-31-2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add clarity
Old 05-31-2021, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I love Hobbs fusible 89/29 batt. It can be a chore to do a big quilt however. I lay mine flat out on my basement old carpet and iron it there. I iron the front with a dry iron, flip it over and do the back. I use safety pins around the edge so it doesn’t peel up as I manipulate it through my machine.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:19 AM

Spray basting is much less time consuming than fusible batting, especially for larger projects. 505 fabric spray adhesive is a good way to go. Very quick and easy.

Lay out your quilt on the floor (backing, batting, top). Then tuck some newspaper underneath, around the edges. Lift the top and batting up and fold it back, half way. Spray the backing, then fold the batting down onto it and smooth it out. Spray the batting, then fold the top down onto it and smooth it out. Then repeat for the other side.

I sew all the way around the outer edge with a basting stitch to hold the layers together. Then I'll put a few safety pins in to help hold it together.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

For large quilts I set up two or three folding tables. I use Hobbs fusible batting. I layer the quilt and press on one side, flip over and press on the other. No hassle at all. I usually don't do bigger then a queen, mostly a big throw size.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:25 AM

This project will be about twin sized when done and I really don't want to risk any shifting in the sandwich. All my projects so far have had shifting--even when I used 2x as many pins! I've been shy to use any chemicals, but the work put into this top might require every possible aid when quilting.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thank you
Old 06-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

That’s Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt my finger must have slipped in the typing.😂
Old 06-01-2021, 11:29 AM

For all I know, that could have been a super specialty item!
Old 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I have used it successfully on smaller projects but didn't do so well on a bed sized quilt. I ended up having to use pins as well which of course defeats the purpose!