Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Leader and Ender question >

Leader and Ender question

Leader and Ender question

Old 06-12-2021, 11:16 AM

Default Leader and Ender question

A long time ago I was told to save little scraps in order to use it at the beginning (and sometimes the end) of chain piecing. The reasoning was so the thread would start on the scrap fabric and not get stuck in your machine or the quilting pieces wouldn't get ruined. I've done it since and the thread never gets stuck since I put it in the middle of the scrap.

But I've been seeing that people use those leaders and enders for a second quilt over time. Are you starting off the scrap and just hoping the thread doesn't get stuck? If so why even use a leader?

I think I'm missing something but maybe I use my leaders wrong?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by lizzie3 View Post
A long time ago I was told to save little scraps in order to use it at the beginning (and sometimes the end) of chain piecing. The reasoning was so the thread would start on the scrap fabric and not get stuck in your machine or the quilting pieces wouldn't get ruined. I've done it since and the thread never gets stuck since I put it in the middle of the scrap.

But I've been seeing that people use those leaders and enders for a second quilt over time. Are you starting off the scrap and just hoping the thread doesn't get stuck? If so why even use a leader?

The most efficient way to use leader/enders as units to make another quilt is when your ender is used as the leader for the next set of blocks for the primary quilt. If you do it this way, there is always an ender still sitting in your machine waiting to become the leader the next time you sew.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:51 PM
Gay

Bonnie Hunter makes a lot of quilts from leaders & enders,

selection for leaders & enders
Old 06-12-2021, 01:20 PM

Using leaders and enders sure does save on thread which is not very cheap anymore! I just use scraps left over from making block and feed them in after sewing on the block piece.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

I just hold the two threads as I start sewing. Fabric nevers goes into the hole in the throat. Maybe because the two machines I use all the time are straight stitch only.

I never use leaders and enders.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
The most efficient way to use leader/enders as units to make another quilt is when your ender is used as the leader for the next set of blocks for the primary quilt. If you do it this way, there is always an ender still sitting in your machine waiting to become the leader the next time you sew.
It never even occurred to me to leave the ender there for the next leader. So simple but so helpful!
Old 06-12-2021, 04:34 PM

It never even occurred to me to leave the ender there for the next leader. So simple but so helpful!
That's how the concept of the leaders and enders projects evolved. Accumulating all those little pieces, then making them in to bigger pieces - voila, a quilt is created! All while working on your "regular" projects.Great idea, really!
Old 06-12-2021, 05:09 PM

Bonnie Hunter should be coming out with her new Leader/Ender challenge in a few weeks. Usually happens each July.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:57 PM

I love the idea of leaders and enders and I made a queen sized jacob's ladder quilt that way. It took me about 2 years....but it was fun. The little nine patches in it finished at 3 inches square! I would precut 1.5 inch strips and just keep on stitching them.....then I made a bunch of half square triangles...when I had all those little pieces made via Leader ender....then I finished it like I would any other quilt. I keep thinking I need to work on another leader ender project so am waiting for Bonnie to release the new project in July. I know I could just pick any block and start making them that way. I have a couple of patterns from GE designs that would be found to do as leaders and enders to using scraps.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:08 AM

I used to use leftover scraps as leader/Enders until it was full of thread and then start with a new one. Now I keep a basket of 2.5” squares nearby and make small blocks. I piece them together and make quilted zipper pouches and baskets. No waste sewing!