Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting Mat Issue >

Cutting Mat Issue

Cutting Mat Issue

Old 06-14-2021, 03:38 PM

Unhappy Cutting Mat Issue

So, I bought a big cutting mat - 36" x 48" because trying to square up my nine-patch quilt using what I had just wasn't the solution and I'm getting ready to start quilting on my sister's DWR and my niece's Mini-Irish Chain in the coming weeks, plus start on my nephew's quilt this weekend. I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived today, but I have a problem with it, hoping someone can help me out.

I was expecting it to be delivered flat like my 24" x 36", but this one came rolled, which really shocked me. I pulled it out of the box and got it to open up as quick as I could, it was extremely hot today and it sat outside under the sun for about twenty minutes before I could bring it in. It was a little bit of a fight, the mat just didn't want to unroll at first, but once I got it unrolled, I put it flat on my floor. It's been several hours since I put it down, it seems to have flattened some, but it looks like the edges are taking their sweet time.

Has anybody had a cutting mat delivered that way and if so, did you have problems with getting flat like it should be? This one kind of has me scratching my head.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:59 PM

no....what brand is it....perhaps if you go to their website, they will give some advice on how to flatten it? I have not seen a cutting mat that was rolled up. The last one I order from GE Designs came in a large flat box and packed very well.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:14 PM

I would try putting it back out into the heat, flat on a deck or clean driveway, curled side down, then put something on top to keep it flat.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:42 AM

Yes, I've ordered two and they both came rolled up. I just left mine outside in the heat, then when I brought it inside I laid it on the floor and put weights on the edges. It took a few days for it to lay totally flat.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

The last two large mats I ordered by mail came in flat boxes. Quilter's Select from the Quilt Show and an Olfa mat from Olfa website. Sending a mat rolled up especially in the summer shows the seller has a lack of knowledge of the product. I would not be happy and would return it. I paid for a flat mat and for it to be delivered to me ready to use.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:28 AM

All of mine have come rolled up too. I lay them flat on my cutting table and put heavy books on them for a few days.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:30 AM

I have received a mat rolled up. I laid it flat for a few days and it works fine now. I would be careful with the outdoor heat. It could cause bubbling of the board it it gets to hot. Just like putting an iron on your board.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:46 PM

The ones I ordered came in big flat boxes. I would contact the company where you bought them and see what solution they purpose.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:00 PM

My 30 x 60 Martelli came rolled up. It lays flat fine.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:48 PM

my largeone came rolled up I put it in the sun for a short time, then turned it over and left it out a bit more. brought it in and weighed it down in specific areas that needed the attention. all is good!