Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suprerior Monopoly invisible thread for a baby quilt? >

Suprerior Monopoly invisible thread for a baby quilt?

Suprerior Monopoly invisible thread for a baby quilt?

Old 07-02-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Suprerior Monopoly invisible thread for a baby quilt?

I’ve got a day or two to finish a baby quilt with blocks with lots of colors. Is there any disadvantage to using the monopopoly ‘ invisible’ thread to do it. The quilt is not going to be ironed. This thread is polyester very thin thread.
thanks
Old 07-02-2021, 09:44 AM

I did a search for quilting with monopoly on a baby quilt and got this hit: Don't know if this is an opinion or based on some other info. I use so fine a lot and when I have a bunch of different colors, I just start by tossing thread from each color I am considering and seeing which blends in with most of the colors. If there is a background color and it is light, I tend to stick with a lighter color but on a white background I have used pale yellow, blue, green, or pink and as so fine is so fine, the thread doesn't show that much.

Monofilament threads because they are hard to see should be avoided on baby quilts. If by chance your stitches come loose they could wrap around babies fingers and toes and cut off circulation.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:47 AM

Some people will say that it loops and a baby toe can get caught. I have never ever had that happen with Monopoly. And you can iron polyester - it was the older invisible nylon thread that sometimes melted.

Having said that, Monopoly is a little tricky to work with, you have to loosen your tension wayyy up.

And having said that, personally I would just pick a dominant color in the quilt and use that. If you don't want the quilting to show as much, use a finer thread like Bottom Line, which is 60 wt, or Microquilter, which is 100 wt. I'm currently using Microquilter on a memory quilt I made from my grandfather's Hawaiian shirts. I definitely wanted the focus to be on the shirt prints and not on the quilting. It's quilting up beautifully.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I would not use any invisible thread for a childs quilt.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:26 AM

Monofilament threads can be tricky to work with and I would not recommend it for a baby quilt. I tend to go with a light color glide thread.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:01 AM

If you accidently do not clip your thread starts or ending, it is there for baby to catch with the fingers or toes. I would never use on a quilt that baby will be on. Wall hanging only, but not baby.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

A end of thread if broken can unravel and poke. I wouldn't use it on any quilt that is being used for a quilt.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I’ve been quilting quilts withSuperior monopoly invisible thread for years, it is great thread. It is nothing like the nylon invisible threads from years ago that were like fish line. It is not pokey at all, it is just as soft and pliable as any cotton/ polyester thread. It is strong and goes a long way. I use it often for appliqué- even on baby quilts. There has never been any issues with it. You can iron over it, it holds up to laundering- the biggest problem with it is…it’s invisible- hard to see when quilting with it. I do use a regular thread in my bobbin- often * bottom line* or a 60 wt Aurifil.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:21 PM
mkc

I would not use monopoly for a baby quilt.

There have been a number of recalls of baby linens where similar threads were used and caused injury to infants' fingers and toes when they got caught in the very fine line. It's very strong and can cause serious injury by acting as a tourniquet on tiny human parts if they get caught because it will not break - it will cut off circulation and the finger or toe experiences permanent damage.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:38 PM
bj

I don’t know about that thread, so no opinion on whether or not to use it. Have you looked at variegated thread that might blend nicely with your fabric? I use it a lot for baby quilts. Good luck finding a choice that won’t leave you worried about its safety for the baby.