Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needles >

Needles

Needles

Old 07-06-2021, 02:12 PM

Default Needles

What kind of needles do any of you long arm quilters use and where do you get them. I have a Voyager 17 and am currently using Singer.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:27 PM

When I had access to my friend's longarm, it was a Pfaff and fussy and it was recommended to use the brand sold here and we indeed would buy them directly from Superior. We also bought pre-wound bobbins because we never could wind a decent one ourselves, whether while quilting or directly. Think you can also find them on Amazon or other sources.

https://www.superiorthreads.com/need...eedles/c/55-20

Edit: That was for brand. On my domestic I usually just use a regular Schmetz Universal style size 14 needle for quilting, I'm going to be doing some tests using the "quilting" and top stitch styles of needles in the next year or two -- I've got a lot of tops to quilt down, I can certainly do a few needle trials. Typically I buy the packs of assorted sizes when they are on sale, I prefer 10s for piecing but 12s are ok, and 14s for quilting so the combo pack works well for me. When I'm working with batiks, either piecing or quilting I like the Microtex Sharps, those I get in the particular size I want.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 07-06-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:53 PM

Thanks Iceblossom. Appreciate the info. Will check them out.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:53 PM

If you have a manual for your machine, I would check with that manual. My long arm takes totally different needles than my domestic machine. The shaft on my long arm needles is totally round unlike the ones that have a flat side like on the domestic machines. There are a lot of needle sizes and lengths and you do want to use the right kind for your machine.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:58 PM
mkc

It totally depends on the machine. Even within a brand (like HandiQuilter), machines can require different needles.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:08 PM

check Superiors website for needles as they will show if they carry by brand. My Gammill takes a round shaft and is specific length for the timing.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

I’ve been purchasing my Longarm needles from Superior Threads for at least 10: years- probably longer.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by auntdeb View Post
What kind of needles do any of you long arm quilters use and where do you get them. I have a Voyager 17 and am currently using Singer.
I like Groz Beckert needles...just have to be sure to pick the correct size for your machine! (don't ask how I know!!)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:00 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
check Superiors website for needles as they will show if they carry by brand.
A Google search brings up a PDF on Superior's site that isn't in their main ordering page. Looks like a Voyager takes a different needle type/size than other brands and is not listed in the brand search at Superior.

Last edited by mkc; 07-07-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:58 AM

I have a 26" Innova and use Groz-Beckert size 18.