Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to Do with This? >

What to Do with This?

What to Do with This?

Old 07-21-2021, 11:40 AM

Default What to Do with This?

So, the friend that took me and my fiance to our vaccination appointment last week gave us some items from her father, who had passed away at the end of December from Covid. When we went through everything she had dropped off, we found these plaid shirts. My fiance, the 'always thinking of quilting, even when I'm not' blurted out that I should use them to make a quilt from them. After looking them over, I realized that would be a good idea, but now, I'm stuck.

My original thought was a scrappy Double Wedding Ring, but after handling the fabric, there's just not enough bias in them. I'm leaning towards an Irish Chain with a white background but wondered if anyone else is seeing a different pattern than me.

I'm also going to have to break these down carefully. Every one of them is short-sleeve so to get the most out of the fabric, I'm literally going to have to take a seam ripper to them.

Any thoughts?

The quilt is going to be for us, I asked the friend if she would like a memory quilt and she told me that she already has several quilts that she's keeping.
Attached Thumbnails sdf.jpg  
Old 07-21-2021, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

I would look through Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville free pattern tab at her site. A Jacob’s Ladder quilt or similar would be nice.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

You might want to check the shirts for fiber content.

Some people will use "only" 100% cotton fabrics.

I prefer to have everything on/in a top or backing to be "the same" for fiber content - but that's just one of my preferences.

Also, have they been washed?
Old 07-21-2021, 12:19 PM

I agree with Bear to make sure all are of the same fiber content and, hopefully, 100% cotton - but that's just a preference, as she already has said.

As for patterns, if you're looking for a scrappy type look then I would take a browse through the Quilted Twins - Free Patterns site here ------> Quilted Twins FREE PATTERNS

Other sites... GE Designs by Gudrun Erla (I love her Kira pattern), Jordan Fabrics (lots of patterns/tutorials/videos to browse through and if you really want to go down the rabbit hole try this site 30+ Awesome Quilt Pattern Sites which links to tons of fabric manufacturers & designers.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 07-21-2021, 12:35 PM

I also want to see you progress on this!

There are many options out there, if you do a search on "memory quilts from shirts" you will get a lot of pictures and links back to this site!

I count shirts as 1 FQ -- the backs usually have a piece about that size in very good condition. There are the front and sleeves and pockets, too.

Blue Chambray or Oxford fabrics (both shirting types) are easy to buy as yardage. Or, if you need to fill out what you have, the thrift stores are full of more shirts, particularly basic tones. Around here, all the different stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value Village) have a colored tag model where basically things only stay around for a month, and then go on a super sale price. The stores also have different days for things like Seniors or other discounts.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:52 PM

Default Como se llamo esto

Como se llamo esto i am from SPAIN.

I registered a lot time ago. Can i see this web without adblocer?

thanks )
Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 PM

I checked the tags, all but one are 100% cotton, I've pulled that one out and I'll find something else to do with it. They all have been washed.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would look through Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville free pattern tab at her site. A Jacob’s Ladder quilt or similar would be nice.
My thought exactly. Also Bonnie has a video on youtube on de-boning a shirt.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:42 PM

You get bias by cutting the fabric on the bias, usually at a 45-degree angle. Most men's shirts have 2 1/2 yards in them.
They should make a lovely quilt.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM

I've seen photos of great men's shirts made into quilts. some with the whole front, buttons and all. Take a peek online and get more ideas that way too.