Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Instructions in kits. >

Instructions in kits.

Instructions in kits.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:58 AM

Angry Instructions in kits.

My daughter received a gift of a kit by www. pieces of my heart. Way above her skill level. I said I would give it a try but have never done a kit before but have quilted for 20 years. It contains over 600 half square triangles . The instructions are minimal and I have really struggled. The half squared triangles are assembled using a paper piecing method called Thangles and are 2" before piecing. No instructions for pressing and one of the color discriptions for a fabric was the wrong color. Some strips were pinked cut and some fabric was uncut. Of course nothing had been starched so it raveled like crazy until I starched everything. I am not sure what the end result will be. So far it looks fine but would be a nightmare to hand quilt due to all the bulk setting all these two inch squares together. Has anyone else had this much trouble with a kit! Some are georgous and the fabric amazing but this has scared me off!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Yes, kits can be tricky. Try and press the seams open since the blocks are so small.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:16 AM

Can you tell us the name of the kit & who it is by? Sometime you can find you-tubes online with tutorials or help when it comes to making some patterns. I found a sort of mini-tutorial on the Over and Down Under quilt pattern that really helped me.

Is this it? I don't think this is it as I don't see 600 HST's in there. There is a 17 minute tutorial on this site.
https://redthreadstudio.com/products...wendy-williams

Last edited by osewme; 07-31-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I like to buy kits on clearance and use the fabric in other quilts. I do like Connecting Threads kits, the are very generous in fabrics. MSQC has good kits with easy patterns to follow. Jordan Fabrics have very nice kits too.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:42 AM

When I see Thangles at the thrift store, I usually pick them up. Some people are devoted to them!

Maybe the website will help you out, maybe there is even your pattern there!
https://thangles.com/howtheywork/
Old 07-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I was gifted a connecting threads kit from my Daughter fabric was very generous and directions very good.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:30 PM
Gay

Exploding Heart is a quilt with lots of HSTs that comes to mind. It would take some concentration to put those blocks together.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:41 PM

Thangles are so easy to use. I wish you luck making the kit. It sounds like a challenge and challenges are fun. One thing I do when I use Thangles is to either do a short back stitch or a tie off stitch at the beginning and the end of each seam. Then when you tear off the paper, you don't tear out any stitches. Your HST triangles will be very accurate in size and make your piecing much easier.

Last edited by maryb119; 07-31-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 PM

Sorry to hear the kit is such a headache. I would suggest you contact the company that put the kit together. There may be a correction to the pattern. I found a site called "Pieces From My Heart" and it had a pattern correction page here: https://www.piecesfrommyheart.net/pa...rrections.html

Is this perhaps the site you need?

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2021, 06:07 PM

I use Thangles for HST all the time. Shorten your stitch length. Cut HST apart on solid line. Then remove papers. Press toward dark fabric. Trim off "dog ear" on HST. Viola! Perfect HST.