Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Houston >

Hello from Houston

Hello from Houston

Old 08-05-2021, 04:00 AM
LDC

Default Hello from Houston

I am somewhat new to quilting and really new to owning a vintage Singer sewing machine.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. A basic vintage machine is a great way to start sewing. There is little that go wrong with the machine and most problems you can fix yourself.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:09 AM
LDC

Thanks. I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:02 AM

Welcome to QB! I'm on the northwest side of Houston and also have vintage machines. This is a great place.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:01 AM

Welcome to both conditions -- quilting and vintage Singers. You are among people who understand I'm still staying a safe social distance away and waving from Near Seattle, really close to the Seahawks facility.

My only Singer for years was a 301, lovely machine and great for classes, the weight is great for an all metal machine. I just recently (as in a week ago!) acquired a hand crank (significantly older than me), and was given a Singer Stylist, circa 1969 (younger than me), a couple months ago that I think just needs a cleaning before it goes on to a new home.

Please join in and feel comfortable, and if/when you can, we love pictures! Sure we want to see the good stuff, but for helping with the bad stuff they really help.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:50 AM
LDC

I am on the northwest side of town as well. I just received a Singer 301 and love the machine.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:05 AM

Hello and Welcome to Houston, I live in Tomball, and it's a great little town...I have my mother-in-law's treadle singer, my mother's featherweight, and now my son[-in-law found his first wife's grandmothers featherweight in their garage that he forgot he had...and I have his mothers Singer 301 in cabinet..then I picked up my white featherweight at a garage sale several years ago, got that little jewel for $25...her garage was packed, I was looking around and my toe touched something hard, so I looked down and saw the green and white box, I knew immediately what it was and ask her if it was for sale..she said "yes"... needless to say it came home with me...I had the singer treadle cabinet restored like new..and the machine painted and new decals, love it..I sold my home of 54 years in Channelview, Texas, lost my wonderful DH of 56 years 2018 and my youngest daughter built a new home in Tomball, with me a suite to myself , bedroom, bath and sewing room..I moved in April, and just now got all my sewing room done, had to wait on IKEA for my new furniture for the room..I'm just went this week and got me a birthday present for myself..got the Janome 6700 P sewing and quilting machine, wow its beautiful, can't wait to get started using it..I hope to have many more years of quilting I was 79 yrs old Aug 3rd..my mom was a quilter all my life ,lost her at age 92 in 2004, so I have all her things and lots of her quilts..lot of them are hand pieced and hand quilted..hope you love Houston, and welcome..to the quilting board...it's a great place to visit every day..

Last edited by sak658; 08-05-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:09 AM

Welcome aboard This is a great place for ooohing & aaahing! Encouragement and kindness abound on this board. I am waving hello from Alaska. I miss the shopping in Texas & the sunshine ☀️
Old 08-05-2021, 10:00 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! Glad to have you and your vintage sewing machine join us. I have a number of vintage sewing machines in my home and love each one of them. This site is a great place to grow in quilting skills ask questions about anything you might have that is quilting or vintage machine related. Jump right in and join the fun!
Old 08-05-2021, 10:31 AM

Welcome from Central Florida. I also have a vintage Singer machine and I love to use it for piecing because I don't have to worry about the fabric getting eaten up with the feed dogs. I hope you enjoy this board as much as I do. I have learned so much from the other quilters on the board.