Water Filtration question

Old 08-28-2021, 11:51 AM
Banned

Default Water Filtration question

I am very new to any sort of prepping but have started to get together a bug-out bag as I’m doing research, right now it’s basically a glorified hiking bag. I’ve looked up a lot of water filtration options and I’ve gone with the Sawyer Mini. I feel there is something I may not be fully understanding and would love if someone could explain. So I’ve noticed that most water filtration systems are good for bacteria but not viruses, heavy metals, or chemicals. I’m wondering how urgent the need for a filtration system that can remove those problems is? Are those issues so abundant that I should be concerned? Or would the filtration system I have to suffice? I live in New England for geographic reference.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Are you planning to go where there is no clean water to have? Being prepared to leave in an emergency is good but to be prepared to bug out to survive long term is another whole other mindset.
Old 08-28-2021, 01:23 PM

You have to sort of have a baseline emergency to be prep for. What you need varies on where you are, what conditions you expect. My old Alaska stuff was quite different than my current Seattle stuff which is very different than what I would have in Arizona. I'd feel pretty comfortable with your choice with fast running water, but not personally with lake water. My personal preparedness means having supplies/resources near by. I'm in no shape to bug anywhere, if it's that bad well here I am. I do need to set up a better long-term/earthquake/out of the house system.

In terms of available space for a pack, bleach or chlorine tablets might be better. Knowing how to start a fire so you can boil is better yet, as is having something big enough to be worth boiling yet small/light enough to be worth carrying. Keep in mind, nothing needs to be packed empty. But learn how much you can actually carry. When I was young, it wasn't much of an effort to go for a week long remote hike with a 40 pound pack. These days... I think maybe I could pick it up and walk it to the car.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:15 AM
Banned

@Onebyone we are facing water problems, that's why
Old 08-30-2021, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by emmamark View Post
@Onebyone we are facing water problems, that's why
If it's not long term, I'd just stock up on bottled water. We often have no water for a few days after a hurricane. I some gallon jugs with tap water and buy a couple of cases of bottled water don't really worry about it that much. That's always been enough to get me by until the water comes back on.

If you're in a situation where there is not going to be fresh water long term, it might be time to relocate.