Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Know a Good CD Player?? >

Anyone Know a Good CD Player??

Anyone Know a Good CD Player??

Old 09-09-2021, 09:59 AM

Default Anyone Know a Good CD Player??

The homeschool curriculum I'm using for my girls uses several CDs for music/songs lessons and audio books. I have a CD player but it's something like 15 years old. It will randomly stop in the middle of our track and the only way to start it back up again is to power the whole unit down first. Needless to say, it's very frustrating to try to get a successful lesson done like that! In this day of age of digital music and audio, can I still find a good CD player? One that doesn't take years to play the track once I push "play"?
Old 09-09-2021, 10:13 AM

I can't recommend a particular brand but I can tell you that the prices of CD players are much lower now. We have a five disc player that has died after about 20 years of use. Multi disc players don't seem to be sold now only single disc. You can get one for less than $50.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM

I had a Bosc player and I loved it. Very reliable and it lasted for over 20 years.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:40 PM

Default Dust on the tracks

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
I had a Bosc player and I loved it. Very reliable and it lasted for over 20 years.
If you have DVD's that skip, you need to wipe them off and put them back in your player. Small amounts of dust collect in the "tracks" and it jams up the player.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:51 PM

Components are a different subject, my 5 CD changer needs replacing. For your needs though, I'd look at something more like a boombox.

Thrift store shopper that I am, I'd look there first. Always check any electronic equipment. If the door to the CD player doesn't open, it is not worth repairing.

For new, something like this would probably be just fine:
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-TY-CK...-search&sr=8-7
Old 09-10-2021, 03:43 AM

I frequently play my CDs through my DVD player. This may be a temporary solution until you make purchase of a CD player. Never a problem but do give them a gentle wipe with a micro fiber cloth if the CD is used often. Are you part of a Home School Association? If so as some of those members what they find to be a good value and dependable player.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:14 AM

I use my blue ray player for CDs DVDs and Blue Ray. It works great.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:52 PM

I myself am partial to the Bose system. Quite spendy but the sound quality is amazing.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:15 AM

sometimes I play my CD or DVD's on my desktop computer or my laptop. Both are old enough that they do have a DVD drive. I also bought an external CD drive that attaches to the USB port. I do have external speakers plugged into both my computers....the desktop even has a "woofer" for the base. I did not pay much for the external speakers, they are all several years old now. I have got a couple of radio's with CD drives that I did not pay much for. My computers have better sound for the CD's
Old 09-14-2021, 10:03 AM

after all these years I still love my 51 disk Sony player, also all the other goodies with it.