Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problems with your machine's Needle Threader??? >

Problems with your machine's Needle Threader???

Problems with your machine's Needle Threader???

Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Problems with your machine's Needle Threader???

Saw this recently, and thought it may be a good summary/reminder for all of us, when having problems with a machine's Needle Threader .........

Let's talk a little about one of the features that many of us have on our machines and the love hate relationship we have with it!!

Not everyone can thread a needle. This has nothing to do with being able to see. It is just that those needle holes are too small and very hard to push the thread through. Thankfully many sewing machines have an automatic threader to help. But what if it breaks?

Very simply, a needle threader pushes a small thin wire through the eye of the needle to catch the thread and pull it back through. Once that is done, you can sew to your heart’s content.

While it is not rocket science the needle threader needs exact positioning of the needle to work correctly. It does not always work perfectly and this can be the problem that frustrates you the most.

Here are some tips to help make sure your automatic needle threader works all the time:

Use the needle up or down button if your machine has it.

Next, clear the thread path and make sure the thread is not caught on something.

Check your needle. Automatic needle threaders are not all-inclusive. there are only certain sizes they will work with.

​Make sure the last thread guides are threaded properly.

Auto Threader Not Working?

There are many reasons why your automatic threader will stop working. Most of the time, the source of the problem is with the needle. But there are other sources for this problem as well so you shouldn’t stop your search with the needle.

Your thread is too thick. The needle threader is not a miracle worker and can’t put a thick thread through a small needle opening.

Your thread hook is dull or bent.

Your needle is not in its highest position or it is not inserted all the way. Then it could have been put in wrong.

Your needle is damaged, dull, or even bent.

The needle is too small or too big. Generally, needle threaders only work with size 11 to 16 needles.

The automatic needle threader’s spring is gone or damaged. This is possible as the little wire is very small and flimsy. It will break very easily.

If you have done everything correctly and you do not see any damage to the little wire, then you should take it to a good repairman (or repairwoman!!) to see what is wrong.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:48 PM

Love the needle threader. My LQS noticed an issue with the one on my machine. Swapped it right away!
Old 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

The best needle threader I have ever used on any machine was on my Singer Quantum. Why can't all threaders be like that one? In all the years I used it it never messed up. The ones on my Brother, Janome and Bernina are hit and miss.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:05 PM

Something they don't mention is to make sure the lever is pushed all the way down BEFORE you put the thread next to the needle. My Bernina needle threader will work every time when I do this. A lot of people put the thread right next to the needle as they push the lever. And they don't always get the lever pushed all the way down.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

My Bernina needle threader is a champ but my Juki is an absolute dud.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
My Bernina needle threader is a champ but my Juki is an absolute dud.
I've given up on needle threaders. The one on my Juki never works right. My Bernina used to work but now it doesn't. I have no idea what is wrong and forgot to mention it the last time I had it in for servicing. I'm so used to threading the needles myself with the vintage machines that I forget I even have it on the others.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I have never gotten my Juki 2010Q needle threader to work... not one time! So I just thread by hand. I didn't buy the machine for the threader, so it's no big deal to me.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:36 AM

I have the Juki 2010, and use the needle threader all the time. It is quirky for sure! Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times to get it to catch the thread. I found, at least for mine, is that I have to hold the thread tight but not too tight - there is a sweet spot that will allow it to catch.
Can't say it doesn't frustrate me though. I have a second machine, the Juki F300, and it's needle threader is much more reliable. It works very differently than the 2010, and I wish the 2010 had it.
However, I do have one of those Dritz needle threader things for backup just in case. I know that so many people have issues I'd rather have some sort of fall back in case mine conks out completely.