Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Collection of Apple Recipes >

Collection of Apple Recipes

Collection of Apple Recipes

Old 09-19-2021, 06:17 AM

Default Collection of Apple Recipes

I have a lot of apples right now, so I've been hunting for some interesting recipes to use them in. Here's a collection that has a lot of good ones. There's some nice salads, a couple of deserts and even some main dishes: https://www.forksoverknives.com/reci...n-plant-based/
Old 09-19-2021, 04:58 PM

Oh, that apple walnut bread sounds good! When it cools off later this week, I think I will try that.

We live in an area where a lot of apples are not only grown, but new varieties are developed at an ag research center nearby. My favorites are still the old standbys, though - especially Cortlands.

We really like chopped apples in salad when tomatoes are not in season. Ones that are firm, red and tart look pretty and taste great.

When it's cold, I make a side of apples, butternut or yams, and onions. Just a drizzle of olive oil, then bake until tender, stirring occasionally. If I am baking a chicken or chops, I put it in the oven all at once.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:29 AM

Where I live apples are $1.69 a pound. At that price I will not be baking and apple goodies.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:12 AM

Jenny Doan (Missouri Star Quilt Co) has this recipe in one of her very first Block magazines (Block Vol. 1, Issue 2). I have not tried it yet but have heard that it is very, very good.

Apple Nut Cake
1 1/2 cups salad oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups apples - peeled & diced
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins
Mix oil, sugar & eggs. Sift dry ingredients & stir into oil mixture (will be dry).
Pour into greased 13 1/2" x 18 1/2" cake pan. Bake at 375 deg. for 40 min.
or until cake pulls loose around edges.
Serve warm or cold. A good recipe to cut into bars & freeze for lunches.
This recipe did not call for any vanilla but I would add a teaspoon to it. I put vanilla in all my "dessert" recipes like this.

From the pictures in the magazine it looks like a very thin cake. When I make it I will probably make it in an 11" x 13" pan. I think a cream cheese icing would be delicious on top of it or a powdered sugar/milk/vanilla drizzle would be good also.

Last edited by osewme; 09-20-2021 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:37 AM

Ooohhh...I'm gonna try that Apple Cake. Thanks, Omewme.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:03 AM

My sister has a couple apple trees. Last year she had so many apples, she decided to dehydrate them as they're great for munching on. This morning I made up some granola to go with my home-made yogurt and added some of the dried apples along with some craisins. Now I'm set to start eating my greek yogurt with the granola.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:43 AM

Love apples, my MIL use to make an apple Lassie Cake. somewhere I have the recipe