Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for long arm users >

Question for long arm users

Question for long arm users

Old 09-24-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Question for long arm users

Has anyone that owns a long arm moved from one place to another? What did you do about taking the frame apart and putting it back together? Were there any problems that you ran into that would help someone else to avoid? I would appreciate any information that you could offer regarding this and how to do it with the least amount of issues. Did you have to get a professional involved or were you able to do it with another person? Thanks for any and all responses you may share.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:17 AM

Yup been there done that! It really depends on the machine and set up. When DH and I decided to split, I had a HQ Fusion, it was disassembled into 3 sections and the poles also come apart in sections so it was pretty straight forward with the take down and set up process. DH reassembled and leveled it for me in my new place.
Last year in March (just before the shut down) I sold my set up to his sister, he came and disassembled and set it up and leveled for her. The following week we drove 8 hours to Virginia to pick up my new to me Innova. This set up is far more detailed than my HQ! We brought one of the trailers and thankfully it was set up with casters, so we simply removed the machine, and the computer robotics and rolled into the back of the trailer secured it down and rolled it into my garage.
Now the fun part! I got tired of waiting for him to come back to help me disassemble and set it back up. I did it all myself! And it took me 3 days and every muscle in my body ached when I was done. It can be done by yourself, but 2 persons make it easier.

1: Take Pictures.
2: label everything that makes sense to you for easy reassembly. I numbered each piece with the corresponding part on the table and the same goes for parts. I had a separate baggie for every leg and nut and bolt every baggie was numbered to fit.
3: Make sure you have the instructions, either the original or printed out to keep handy for any questions.
4: I had adjustable height saw horses to help me with holding up things, it was my second pair of hands when needed.
5: Keep the number of tech support handy! I purchased the electric lift for my table, the instructions were more geared towards a technician and not a DYI. I had questions and they had a engineer call me back and get me over the hurdle.
6: Make sure you level your table before you even start using it again. It took me an entire day to do it myself only because of the location. If it were on a flat surface then it would have been much easier.

Its not hard to move if you have help, and not impossible if you don’t, provided you are physically able and somewhat mechanically inclided. The place I purchased my Innova from wanted 2500.00 to deliver and set up. Ummmmm yeah, no thanks!

Last edited by tallchick; 09-24-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:26 AM

I chose to have APQS arrange delivery and also do the set-up for me when I got my Lucey. They Charge $500 to do it and shipping is usually between #350-$500. I am not the mechanically talented and the head weighs 46 pounds. My friend got a new Lucey recently, it was professionally delivered and she set it up herself without too much problem. I have heard of folks who transport the machine themselves but with APQS, the rails are solid and you can get them 10.12, or 14 feet long and it recommended to get a trailer long enough to support the length of the rails so they do not get bent. If you tell us what machine you are asking about, folks might be able to give you some better advise and tips. I also was told to save as many boxes that came with my machine as I could, especially for the head as it is padded. I also saved the sturdy rail boxes which are long! Good thing I have an unfinished basement with plenty of storage room.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:51 AM

When my friend moved hers the first time, she had her daughter "help" and it did not go well for any of them. She has the Grace frame made up of two 6-foot segments. Some of the rails were slightly twisted and bent before it was discovered that the reason they weren't coming apart is because they were attached...

When we set it up again, we were able to turn around the worst two twists and put them to the outside because the center was otherwise buckled.

We really needed the 3 foot long level we had. It turned out her new house had a slight dip in the floor and despite trying to adjust the feet, eventually we got a piece of cardboard to fill in the low spot. Other than that, as two awkward 60-ish somethings we were able to do the lifting and all that ourselves -- but it definitely was better with two. Don't know how well one could do it.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I lifted the head of my Innova longarm off the frame and set it down on a flat dolly, which I wheeled into a closet. Later on it was wrapped in blankets and rode from Oregon to California in the back of my car.

I took the frame apart by myself, taking pictures and making notes as I did so. I labeled the parts by writing on masking tape, and I used zip ties to hold things together that I wanted to stay together and baggies to contain nuts and bolts, all labeled so I'd know where they belonged. The pieces came to California in a U-Haul that I drove. Movers carried the pieces to my upstairs quilt room.

When it all got to California, I reassembled the frame pretty much by myself, in reverse order from how it was taken apart. My adult son came over later to help insert the 12' long bars, tighten bolts, help me level the frame, and lift the head onto the frame.

Altogether, easy peasy. But not all longarms are as user friendly to take down and reassemble as the Innova.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:59 AM

I purchased my HQ LA used and had to disassemble it and then put it back together. My DH helped me take things apart and I took tons of pictures and wrote down lots of notes. Like everyone else, I put screws, washers, nuts in baggies and labeled those, too.

Then when we unloaded it we couldn't put it back together at that point. It was a drop off and go back to our summer house situation. So, it was 2 months later when I put it back together. My DSIL the carpenter helped me with that. So glad I took all those pictures and wrote down all the notes. We got it back together without much difficulty.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:23 AM

DH and I moved my HQ 12' frame more than once. First move was from the house to the new sewing studio, so we were able to move it without taking much apart.

Second time was to a new home. Removed the table from the legs, but left the table as one long unit. Should have taken more apart than we did, as we could not get the 12' table around the corner to the upstairs studio. Hauled it up the stairs and tried to get it around the corner and it didn't fit (I knew it wouldn't, but DH insisted we try). so back downstairs and then took the table apart into a 4' section and 8' section - and got it upstairs. Mine has robotics and there is a 12' plastic flexible toothed rail that is glued to the top, and DH did not want to remove it if possible. I was all set to order a new one, but DH was able to get some double sided tape that worked to stick back down the end we had to release it from the 4" section. The rails the machine rides on are screwed down so easy to remove.

We still had the instructions from the first time we set it up, and I already knew the height I wanted so it was just getting it all level before tightening it all down.

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-25-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:11 AM

I didn’t realize anyone would ask about what kind of frame I was talking about and that’s why I didn’t mention it. My frame is a Bernina 10 or 12 foot. Moving the machine is not a concern but moving the frame and getting it all back in order was. When I purchased it I paid the people to set it up for me since I didn’t have a clue how to do it besides the fact that the vehicle was too small for the poles and there was no instructions either. Thanks to everyone for your great ideas, that’s exactly why I ask here!
Old 10-04-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
DH and I moved my HQ 12' frame more than once. First move was from the house to the new sewing studio, so we were able to move it without taking much apart.

Second time was to a new home. Removed the table from the legs, but left the table as one long unit. Should have taken more apart than we did, as we could not get the 12' table around the corner to the upstairs studio. Hauled it up the stairs and tried to get it around the corner and it didn't fit (I knew it wouldn't, but DH insisted we try). so back downstairs and then took the table apart into a 4' section and 8' section - and got it upstairs. Mine has robotics and there is a 12' plastic flexible toothed rail that is glued to the top, and DH did not want to remove it if possible. I was all set to order a new one, but DH was able to get some double sided tape that worked to stick back down the end we had to release it from the 4" section. The rails the machine rides on are screwed down so easy to remove.

We still had the instructions from the first time we set it up, and I already knew the height I wanted so it was just getting it all level before tightening it all down.
I have the same set up and we moved it the same way (except dh broke the table down to three sections from the start. ) He and three buddies tore it apart at the old house, drove across town and put it all right back together so he didn't have a chance to forget how it goes together.

It's not 100% level at the new house but I'm not having any issues because of it. LOL