Kenmore 158.17800.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:28 AM

Default Kenmore 158.17800.

Saturday I decided to check out any new offerings at the local Goodwill. Found a Kenmore 158.17800. After digging around on the shelves, I found the box of cams and the accessories/ buttonhole box. Then on to find the foot pedal (on another shelf). It was very clean and when I opened it up I found only a few lint bunnies. Needed oiling. Sews beautifully. Only one of the thread guides coming off the spool is missing. Today I tried the cams but discovered another problem. I cannot get the cam to stay locked down in place. Any advise on what the trouble could be? I paid $14.99 for the machine. I hope I got a good deal. Also what year would this machine have been made?
Attached Thumbnails f2d856e7-3d32-4ba4-b4b1-64a222a46553.jpeg   07da88a6-7b55-44e0-a07b-3daa999a930d.jpeg   3efac6c6-7901-4c3f-afc3-b133a6ef9ccf.jpeg  

Last edited by AlvaStitcher; 09-27-2021 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 09-27-2021, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Pretend it is a straight and zig-zag stitching machine and you will be happy with it!

I have a 1781 (158.17812) that I bought at a yard sale several years ago - it is the "simple cousin" of that machine. No cams, but it does have several built-in stitches that actually work!

The buttonhole making set does work - and the buttonholes are nice - but it was a bit weird to me how it actually works. It seems so rinky-dinky.

If you can get a manual, it does help. The bobbin case does come out - the "wings" described have to be pulled out with a tiny screwdriver - then one can lift out the bobbin case.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-27-2021 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:52 AM

Aren't all sewing machines Singer?

It looks like there isn't a date for that model at http://www.searsarchives.com/history.../sewing_id.pdf but probably late 1960s to early 1970s.

There is a manual at https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/in...-158-1581.aspx that says it is for some other models which would include your machine. I tried looking for some of the other model numbers to see if there was a downloadable manual. Kenmore had a tendency to do one manual for several machines. I looked at some other model machines that use cams and evidently there is a lever that needs to be pushed or pulled when inserting and removing the cams. If you look at the page https://www.manualslib.com/manual/55...page=18#manual there are instructions for removing & inserting the cams. Another position of the cam lever is located as shown on page 45 of the manual found at https://pdfslide.net/reader/f/kenmore-1581980-manual# - specifically at https://reader026.staticloud.net/rea.../html/bg2d.png

ETA I did find the manual to download. I didn't see it at first but when I went back to close the tab, I read again and found it. It was on page https://low.li/story/2021/06/kenmore...del-158-17851/
and the direct link (instructions on page 41) https://low.li/wp-content/uploads/20...7861_17862.pdf

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 09-27-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:54 AM

Thank you for the replies. I downloaded the manual yesterday but do not see anything different than what bearisgray mentioned. I have pushed the lever as it states when putting the cam in but it does not stay down. Not that I would probably use them since I don’t do any more garment sewing but it would be nice to figure it out. Hmmmm
Old 09-27-2021, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

I dragged it out to give to a friend - and now I am - sort of - thinking twice about it.

Anyway - it was a bit sluggish, so I oiled everything that looked like metal touching metal. I think I overdid that a bit - because I have been swabbing up oil with q-tips for a couple of days now. However - it does run a lot more smoothly, quickly, and quieter now.

I also dabbled with the tension for a day or so to get it closer to my idea of proper tension. Yes, the lower bobbin does come out; and yes, it is adjustable, just like the vertical bobbins.

The big glitch is that I need a bolt to hold the base of the carrying case to the machine. I went to the hardware store, and apparently it needs something between a 1/4 inch and M6. Which the store did not have. A proprietary size?
Old 09-27-2021, 09:20 AM

Bearisgray. I had to chuckle when you said to consider the machine to be a straight stitch/zigzag only machine. I already have 6 of those! I guess 1 more won’t hurt, will it?

This machine did not come with a cabinet or carrying case. It weighs a ton.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM

If you're comfortable working on machines you could remove the top and see if there's anything in the way of the latching mechanism holding in the cams. It's hard to mess up the machine by just removing the top.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:55 AM

JoeJr, I have taken the top off twice to see if I could find anything that would inhibit the working of the cams. Nothing found but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:56 PM

Janey mentioned a lever to lock/unlock the cam, likely in the front, right side of the cam area under the cam lid. With no cam in place, remove the machine top, find that latch lever, move it and see what it moves and if there's anything in the way, with the top still off try inserting and removing a cam using the lever, still looking for anything in the way. Make sure the cam is seating all the way also, so the lock can engage. My 158 series machine is out on loan so I can't be more specific, sorry.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:19 AM

JoeJr, Thank you. I have tried that many times. Had my husband look at it as well. But I will try again and look more closely. The lever moves freely but it must not be catching on something.