Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using directional fabric, can we talk? >

Using directional fabric, can we talk?

Using directional fabric, can we talk?

Old 10-01-2021, 07:58 AM

Default Using directional fabric, can we talk?

Hi gals. I have all of this directional background fabric and it doesn't work for many patterns. I want to do this Houndstooth pattern but as you can see, the strip sets are turned 90 degrees. I know this isn't rocket science, but I suppose I would have to cut the strip sets vertically instead of selvage to selvage to get it right in the end? Does anyone have any thoughts? What would you do? Thank you!!!!

Last edited by littledentist; 10-01-2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:05 AM

I had a thread talking about some of my directional challenges recently too... each project has a different set of decisions to make!

Our help section here has some good FAQS on pictures:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

It took me months to figure out the challenges of my older digital camera and browser choice, and found that for me the big issue is that the file sizes are too large. I go to this site, use their defaults and I'm good to go. No affiliation, but it is easy and doesn't set off my protection settings.
https://www.reduceimages.com/

And then, once you do get your pictures attached, about half the time I forget to resize the window to where I can see the "upload" button in the far right corner that has to be clicked in order to actually attach everything together... No pressure, but there is a time limit too.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I had a thread talking about some of my directional challenges recently too... each project has a different set of decisions to make!

Our help section here has some good FAQS on pictures:
https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

It took me months to figure out the challenges of my older digital camera and browser choice, and found that for me the big issue is that the file sizes are too large. I go to this site, use their defaults and I'm good to go. No affiliation, but it is easy and doesn't set off my protection settings.
https://www.reduceimages.com/

And then, once you do get your pictures attached, about half the time I forget to resize the window to where I can see the "upload" button in the far right corner that has to be clicked in order to actually attach everything together... No pressure, but there is a time limit too.
YES!! I just noticed it was all the way to the right and now I can't upload lol. Oh brother
Old 10-01-2021, 08:09 AM

Let's try this! It looks like it's a 45 degree turn so then it would be on the bias, no? I would have to probably use an interfacing right??
Attached Thumbnails one.png   two.png  

Last edited by littledentist; 10-01-2021 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:18 AM

I really like the color flow in that project... am thinking I have a couple pieces of fabric that might go well in something like that.

But what is your fabric like? if you cut it small and then turn it sideways or cut it small the "right" direction, it might lose the design either way. I'm thinking the main thing is to get the squares set how you want them and maybe the strips will be just fine.

Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with changing the cutting direction from across to up and down -- but I say that as someone who prewashes.

Edit: I think you would just be turning 90 degrees. 45 degree would probably be more trouble than worth.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-01-2021 at 08:21 AM. Reason: late thought!
Old 10-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I fussy cut directional prints and sometimes I just cut and let the chaos happen. It fun to play with stripes and intentionally cut them so the triangle angles make new designs that go around a corner. It depends on the look you are going for. If all else fails, directional prints make great backing fabrics.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I greatly dislike using directional fabrics. There is something in my brain that, no matter how well I think I cut, they invariably come out wrong!
Old 10-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

I avoid them too, unless I cut them as a solid cut, back with batting a backing and quilt it up.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:55 AM

I used to avoid stripes, but I kept finding fabric that I love. So, I started a section in my stash for collecting them. Then, I waited for a pattern to interest me. I've made one quilt with them.
Attached Thumbnails square-striped-quilt-done.jpg  
Old 10-04-2021, 03:01 AM

That is a great looking quilt