Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage / Antique quilts >

Vintage / Antique quilts

Vintage / Antique quilts

Old 10-04-2021, 02:52 PM
Gay

Default Vintage / Antique quilts

I bought a bundle of beautiful soft coloured fabrics at a quilt show last week, but on opening found they were fat 1/8s and not fat 1/4s. So have been busy looking for the correct sizes pieces, and just ordered the final two this a.m. (Don't feint when you see the prices, this is what we pay for good fabric here)

Rose and Violets Garden

My problem is - where have all those photos of lovely vintage/antique quilts gone now that I have the fabric. Hopefully all you ladies and gents have suggestions. I don't want dresden fans or applique. Do you think crazy patchwork would suit, as I am almost resigned to doing that?

Old 10-04-2021, 04:00 PM

Oh now see, that looks somewhat like the Robyn Pandolph fabrics i have a lot of. Romantic prints to me. I have no idea what to do with them as I am definitely not in a romantic mood and no one is getting married that I know of. so no ideas from me.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:42 PM

Very pretty fabric! How about a scrappy Irish Chain with an off white fabric in between?
Old 10-04-2021, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Looks like a soft palette to work with. A vintage quilt from Bonnie Hunters free pattern tab like Sugar Bowl would be nice.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I bought a bundle of beautiful soft coloured fabrics at a quilt show last week, but on opening found they were fat 1/8s and not fat 1/4s. So have been busy looking for the correct sizes pieces, and just ordered the final two this a.m. (Don't feint when you see the prices, this is what we pay for good fabric here)

Rose and Violets Garden

My problem is - where have all those photos of lovely vintage/antique quilts gone now that I have the fabric. Hopefully all you ladies and gents have suggestions. I don't want dresden fans or applique. Do you think crazy patchwork would suit, as I am almost resigned to doing that?
https://www.mollyandmama.com.au/rose...rden-projects/ This site made me aware of this beautiful fabric. Part way through her post she mentions that she is working on a "gorgeous quilt" to share with her readers. Sign up to get a notice when it is released. The post is from January of this year. I signed up but no notice yet. I did buy the full set of 21 fat quarters and can hardly wait to see what she does with them.
Here is another site for some inspiration. http://www.creamcraftgoods.com/2020/...ts-garden.html
Old 10-04-2021, 08:02 PM

Oh the pin cushion on mollyandmama site is gorgeous!! Thanks for that link.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:35 AM

That pin cushion is what made me buy the fat quarters. I just love it. Am hoping the the quilt she designs will be as pretty and there will be enough scraps left over to make the pin cushion.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:44 AM

Seeing those prices on fabric gives me a whole new admiration for Ausie Quilters. What you must sacrifice just to make your quilts....AMAZING.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:02 PM

Years ago I made a "french Rose Quilt" I think If you google it, you should find photos. It is the pattern of the raw edge layered applique roses. The original pattern was by Heather French.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:16 PM

OH SewingPup, thanks for reminding me of that quilt. i always said I'd make one and have yet to do so. I must ponder this.