Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Old 10-08-2021, 09:04 AM

Pictures all ready! Love GFG's I have one in progress about 7 years now.

With luck I'm in for part of the weekend. Have the housework done but have a bit of running to do before I can cut out the next two fabrics on the current quilt. DH has to work a half day tomorrow so that is sewing time!. Unfortunately we have 3 commitments tomorrow one in the afternoon and 2 in the evening, so only morning sewing but Sunday and Monday are free!

Lots of great projects this weekend, Thanks Heather for another get together.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:05 AM

I'll be organizing stash for moving. Love the pictures of what all are doing.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:15 AM

I am waiting on fabric for a wildlife quilt. It is supposed to arrive on the 12th. I'm sure it won't but in the mean time I am going to figure out what I should start next - have a few options, see if I can get one of those going.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Okay, here's what I'm working on this weekend. I have one bird sewn on and three more to sew on. Then I'll have to start the embroidery and embellishing.

The first picture is where I started this morning. I had all 4 bellies and skinny wings sewn in the corners.

lbbbird 1 by , on Flickr

And, here is where I am now with one bird appliqued on.

lbbbird 3 by , on Flickr
Old 10-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Nanna, lovely hand stitching project.

Heather, I’m in for Thanksgiving VQW. I have projects that I could work on. LOL.

this weekend I plan to finish 2-3 project Linus tops for my guild (2 are 1/2 way completed). Then sew 29 blocks from BHMQ 2020 Grassy Creek mystery. It’s going to be a king size quilt. My goal to have it done by Thanksgiving. So I can start this years. This year will be a smaller project size. I plan to long arm 2 quilts for a friend. It’s quilting, no trimming. I’m also will be doing some beginner/ender pieces for other projects. If I get most of this done then it’s on to working on one of my to do quilting projects. Anyway, I have a lot to do this weekend.

tonight my goals, finish sewing a few more pieces on BHMQ step #4 & #6. Then trim #4 pieces and start pinning the blocks together tomorrow morning. I also plan to finish sewing 2 of the project Linus tops and lastly set up the top to quilt for tomorrow morning.

Happy Canada Thanksgiving everyone and happy sewing/quilting.
Old 10-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Default Friday Update

So today has been productive and then not so productive, lol.

I got everything cut down and ready while my fiancé was out hunting mushrooms, I think I got through it all in about an hour, which I think is pretty good. Which, a huge thank you to everyone that suggested a 60mm rotary cutter during the last VQW, I bought one in the middle of last month and cannot believe the difference, no hand or wrist fatigue and I was slicing through multiple layers like a hot knife to butter!

Picture is of three Maple Leaves, nine more to go. That has been the other productive part, finally having my scant 1/4" figured out on my sewing machine made it such a joy to be sewing again. I also used Karen Brown's hack of putting a ledge of masking tape on my machine, I never in a million years would have thought it was going to make that big of a difference, I wish I had tried it sooner.

My only problem today has been an error in the pattern that I did not catch this time, I really need to figure out how best to fix the pattern in the book because I have at least four more of these table quilts to make in the future. In the middle of the 12 Maple Leaves there are four blocks of Hour Glasses - each block has four, for a total of 16. I know that my 1/4" is accurate because my Maple Leaves are measuring out to 12.5", what the book says all the blocks are supposed to be. Sadly though, the Hour Glasses are not coming up to 12.5", it's more like 12.25", so I'm a quarter inch off. The book says to start off with 7 1/4" squares and use the two at a time method to make the blocks, but shouldn't the squares be 7 1/2"? Can any ladies that has their math brains up and running help me out? I don't want to keep making this mistake, especially with as many as I have in the future.

I'm leaving the Hour Glasses alone for now because I have to figure out how best to fix this. Should I tear them down and do a scant 1/8", or should I take the remaining fat quarters I have from the bundle, add some Muslin fat quarters and remake them after the correction on the pattern is done?

I'm all confoozled - lol!
Old 10-08-2021, 07:41 PM

Tried about eight times to get my picture to upload and it's just not doing it. Having problems with the network tonight, I'll have pictures later when Verizon decides to play nice.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:04 AM

Just checked in and see this thread, I forgot it was VQW. I am up early, getting ready to head to one of my favorite quilt shops for their early bird sale.😍 Did get some time at the sewing machine yesterday, hopefully will again tomorrow. I'll check back later to read and check out everyone's progress. Happy sewing everyone.🎃
Old 10-09-2021, 01:36 AM

Tldr- my quilt was rejected by the long arm lady and I am hand tying it.

I made a 99x98 top. Bought some 108 backing. Dropped at quilter and apparently it shrank in the wash because she didn't have enough extra on the edge. It's also a charity project - Habit for Humanity- so she said $300 to quilt and that's alot for charity - just tie it.

So ... Here we are. This has not been my favorite project. Probably why it's taking so long to finish.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:32 AM

I agree, Rff1010, that's a lot to spend for a charity quilt. Tying it will be okay.

It's Saturday, hope to get my last 3 birds appliqued onto the corners of my quilt. I have to set goals and my goal is to have this top ready for quilting by the end of the weekend.