Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Caley's Quilts >

Caley's Quilts

Caley's Quilts

Old 10-08-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Caley's Quilts

Instead of opening a thread each time I have a new picture, I will just have this thread from now on to post pictures of my creations.

My first isn't new. I showed the front previously. Now I have it quilted and bound.

Binding had been a problem for me, but I think I have it figured out. I did the corners when sewing on the reverse side, like I did on the front side. I had watched a video from Missouri Quilt Company that showed that wen you reach a corner, you stop sewing 1/4 inch from the end, and turn your quilt so that you are now sewing at the corner. I did the same thing on the reverse, and my corners look much better. The material laid flatter, and was easier to sew on the machine.

I've named this my Black Diamonds quilt. It's small, so it is just a lap quilt, or can be a wall hanging.

It was created from eight identical panels I cut from fabric purchased at WalMart. I then cut our squares, and then half square triangles from those squares, then pieced the eight together. After the squares were sewn together, I then trimmed the finished squares. This was my very first try at this type of quilt

The quilting is a variation of stitch in the ditech. What I did was use my walking foot edge to sew on either side of the "Ditch". It definitely is a thread hog when done this way. But I like the results. Oh yes, the lady at the Calimesa Cherry Berry Quilts store is the one who suggested I try this.

The quilt is 49x55 inches. The backing is from P&B Basics (Bella Suede Wide, the lighter version).

Attached Thumbnails black-diamonds-lap-quilt-finished.jpg  
Old 10-08-2021, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Nicely finished!
Old 10-08-2021, 02:01 PM

That is a lovely quilt! Panels are becoming a good thing to have around.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:32 PM

QW44, I guess I wrote things incorrectly. I used fabric yardage purchased from WalMart. I had to match up eight identical pieces by pinning matching marks on each of these. It is very tedious work. I think I used a 12-13 inch wide strip that measured the normal 42 inches long. The 12-13 inches was the distance where the markings started repeating. I probably picked out a dozen points before cutting things into squares. Sorry, I can't remember the size of these squares. Each fabric is different, and you need to calculate just how large each block will be to get the most out of those eight layered strips of fabric. I think it took me a whole day of thinking, measuring, and calculating before I made my first cut.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:28 AM

Kind of a variation of a "Four Patch Posie" then and lovely at that. You did a great job and the quilting was a perfect idea from your quilt shop.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:52 AM

A lovely quilt. I love the use of your Black and Whites. A real inspiration.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:24 AM

That’s beautiful!
Old 10-09-2021, 08:51 AM

A wonderful OBW quilt and one of my favorite blocks to make, love this in your black and white you did a great job, beautiful.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:16 PM

I like the effect of SID on each side of ditch!
Old 10-09-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

It turned out beautifully. Great work.

That is my only way to stitch in the ditch. Turns out neater for me. However I don't do it often, I prefer FMQ.