I need help!

Old 10-10-2021, 11:21 AM

Default I need help!

I was just given a Singer model 66 treadle sewing machine. I have the users manual, so I’m pretty confident I have it threaded correctly. I’ve never used a treadle before, but something seems very amiss. As I pump the treadle, the balance wheel spins forward (toward me) and backward (away from me) so the stitching actually goes nowhere, I’m sure there’s a setting that’s not right, but I have no idea what. The users manual does not address, that I can find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated… this machine is so lovely, I’m itching to get the hang of it.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter sometimes has videos on her Quiltville site of people trying out treadleing. It would help to find a video of someone using a treadle. If you can’t find one on Bonnie’s site, then there may be videos on YouTube. Controlling the treadle is all done by getting the proper motion with your feet. Keep at it and you will enjoy treadleing.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:19 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I appreciate any help
Old 10-11-2021, 07:27 AM

Welcome aboard Mary Margaret P

I believe this would be called operator error and not any setting. As you treadle the handwheel should continue to spin counter clockwise, or to to the operator. Spinning both ways will break the thread and give you for to many opportunities to thread the needle.

I always tell beginning treadlers not to thread the machine until they can keep a steady rhythm on the treadle while they are talking to someone else. Start by pulling the handwheel towards your self and watching the treadle. try to gently keep that pattern going.

66 is a great machine to learn on I consider it well lubed if I can give the handwheel a spin ( no belts on) for 3 revolutions with a quick flick of my wrist..
Old 10-12-2021, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the welcome! Your suggestions make sense….there is definitely an art to using this machine! Thank you so much!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:10 AM

This is how mine mostly get operated. Hand cranks
Attached Thumbnails 100_3384.jpg  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:55 AM

Beautiful machines…..as is the lady behind them! That add a level I’m not sure I could master!
Old 10-12-2021, 02:06 PM

I do not have a working treadle...but I do remember helping my grandmother when she used the treadle to stitch rags together for rag rugs...she would just treadle away...she had me try and treadle. I was 5-6 at the time. No go....I did the same as you...the handwheel would go toward me and then away from me....there is definitely a rhythm you need to master....keep at it...I like the idea of not threading the machine...but just practicing the treadle motion and watching the direction the handwheel is going and getting that rhythm down. Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2021, 02:09 PM

krostrade.com/blog/how-to-use-a-treadle-sewing-machine/ Just found this link...looks helpful and explains treadling.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:36 PM

oh...wow...just googled how to work a treadle and there is a lot of videos out there...some really good ones.