Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finishing All the Quilt Tops >

Finishing All the Quilt Tops

Finishing All the Quilt Tops

Old 10-23-2021, 01:45 PM

For me, it depends on the quilt. For one that will be used or draped over a couch, I prefer "done." For art quilts I do my best to make it "right." I can't say perfect because there's usually something I wish I could have done better. Still, after some time has gone by, I'm able to admire and enjoy the whole quilt.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
NZ, I totally hear ya! I detest basting!! I wish I could find someone who could baste all my tops. I love every other part of quilting except that................
SusieQOH ... Many longarmers will baste your quilts together, then all you have to do is the quilting!
Old 10-23-2021, 04:30 PM

I love the expression 'finished is better than perfect.' To me, it doesn't mean 'don't bother doing your best'; I agree that we should always do our best. But the fact is, my piecing is way better than my quilting. I would have exactly no finished quilts to my name if I weren't open to quilting my quilts imperfectly. In addition, the only way to develop quilting skills is to quilt real quilt tops (you can only go so far practicing on small pieces). This leads to an unavoidable truth -- you are going to do some ugly quilting when you start out learning to quilt (I assume this applies to longarms as well). I finally began quilting my tops when I gave myself permission to ruin them. (In the end, of course, they weren't really ruined -- they looked fine after washing.) To me, a functional quilt imperfectly quilted is much more beautiful than a perfectly pieced top that has no practical use. So, for me, yes, finished is definitely better than perfect!

NZquilter, it sounds as though your main obstacle is the basting. I wouldn't have finished a single quilt had I not discovered the Sharon Schamber board method of basting (but not everyone has the space and size table needed for this method). It sounds like an excellent idea to look into longarmers in your area who do basting. If you get past the basting issue, I would definitely encourage you to get busy quilting those quilts at your skill level. Put the less precious, simpler ones first and you can develop your skills on those, while saving the more heirloom-y ones for when you are able to custom quilt them. We just don't know what tomorrow will bring, much less the next 15 years, and in 15 years, you are bound to have more tops that will need quilting. It would be sad if you held all your tops for the 'perfect' time and it never came. Just my two cents!
Old 10-23-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I always wondered why so many people say "finished is better than perfect". No, nothing is better than perfect! That saying, to me, is a cop out for doing your best work on every quilt. Sure I could slap together some mess and leave all the wrinkles in the quilting, but is that supposed to be better than perfect? Of course not!

Take your time and get it right. Rip and sew over, whatever it takes. Then the person who is "waiting" will get something worth giving, rather than just anything you could quickly throw together.

NZ, I do recommend you try QAYG on your next quilt. Make big blocks (or join smaller ones into a big block) and quilt them individually on your DSM. Then join the quilted blocks. There are several tutorials for this method in our Tutorials section of the board. It's a fun method.
I don’t think finished-is-better-than-perfect is an excuse for shoddy work.
I think it’s the antidote to the idea that ‘one day’ my skills will be good enough to work on this quilt. Humans are not perfect, and we will always be able to improve on our skills.
Have at it.
Do most of the quilt in a design you’re good at, and find some areas to practise designs that could use more work.
Every completed quilt will be a little better than the one before.
And they’ll never be perfect.
So, yes, an imperfect finished quilt is better than a perfect quilt top sitting in a drawer.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I figure that I am not perfect, so why would my quilts be? I do try and make the tops and quilting desirable, pleasing, and optimal to the design. In my mind's eye and to my limited abiltiy, I think they are wonderful. But, I don't make quilts for "Show", I make quilts for real life use. I don't listen to my inner quilt police. Besides, quilting is as fun as the rest of the process, why gum that up?
Old 10-23-2021, 05:19 PM

Also if I remember correctly you have a very young family.....many of us are either retired or empty nesters with many hours to "spare". Enjoy your time while your little ones are growing and if piecing is what gives you " peace" at the moment...so be it.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:40 AM
Banned

I'd have to say finished is best as I've never made a perfect quilt (or anything else, for that matter!) I have a few quilts that, once pieced, I really didn't like them, but I finished them and used them as "every day quilts." Those are actually my favorites now, because, after all the use and washings, they're as soft as silk!
Old 10-24-2021, 03:11 AM

I'm fortunate in that my local Linus Project takes donated tops and finishes them. I take both finished and just the tops to them. I also usually donate a roll of batting.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:21 AM

Realistically, if you have to wait 10 - 15 years for a long arm, you won't have space for it because of all the finished tops you have waiting to be quilted!. I have a very silly picture in my head of a room full of quilt tops and only a pathway from door to sewing machine. There are children and pets lost behind stacks of tops calling for help to find their way out from the mountains of quilt tops.

We each have an area of the process that entrances us. I like the process of piecing far more than than basting or quilting. Pre-pandemic, I would merrily make quilt tops and then like many of us when we were locked inside our homes, I stopped to look at what was on hand and what needed my attention. I found so many UFOs! Some, barely started some just needed finishing and like you, finished tops that I just couldn't face basting and quilting. I don't remember the number but I pulled back and stopped, making and began finishing. For me, the hardest part was/is basting. Yes, I have read all of the methods suggested here but most require space or a large counter or a large table. In reality, I did manage to get a significant number basted and quilted.

To your question, If the quilt tops were in my space, I would sort them by the kind of quilting that I could accept and finish one or two before allowing myself to start a new quilt. Consider straight line, channeling, crosshatch or a meander or stipple methods. Those simple methods can enhance your quilt without custom quilting. I would choose one or two a year to send out to a long arm quilter. It took me time to admit it, but I could not enjoy my quilts if the tops were hiding in my closet or in your case in the drawer. Perfect or done? Just go for the best work you can do, today. That is all you can expect of yourself. NZ Quilter, I encourage you topick one out and get 'er done and enjoy the finish.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 10-24-2021 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:43 AM

I started several responses to this. I do believe in "finished is better than perfect" but that I am increasing my skills each time. I'm not doing shoddy work, I am working to the best of my abilities. They aren't going to get better without practice/use. My goals for my quilting are also not to win best at show, but to make a quilt usable and lasting and important for my projects, machine washable.

I'm not naturally talented in the selection of quilting designs. At first, I thought too much old school, block by block, no continuous lines. Then when I had the opportunity to be spoiled having access to a friend's long arm, well I got spoiled!

This past year I decided I really had to do something about getting my pieced tops together. My main problem is small space and for the last couple of years with Covid shut downs, I did not have access to any large tables or spaces. So, eventually I found a local free ping pong table which has no room inside the house but is outside in the backyard, carefully positioned and tarped against the rain. A ping pong table is 108" long -- my standard length for backings. It is 60" wide, same as my queen bed (but without the 4 posters), has divisions along both middles to help position. The height is better for me. I am able to quickly and easily sandwich my tops together (now that I bought some clamps and such) and then I spray basted.

I also got an actual sewing table where my machine can be dropped to table top height. The added space of the table to help support the top and the lowering of height has improved both my physical endurance and the quality of my technical skills.

So far I've completed quilting two queen tops. I chose bold designs that I felt did not need quilting to enhance them, only hold them together and so I got used to working with the large tops again by simple serpentine stitched along the grid lines. I have a third in progress where I "stabilized" it using serpentine stitching along the block design, I've been working at some tests and will be filling in the large portions with a free motion meander. The next quilt after that will feature a stronger free motion design.

Each quilt will be finished. Perfection is unlikely for me, but a well constructed sturdy, attractive product with good workmanship is not