Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Sewing Machine-Needs Help Identifying/Using >

New Sewing Machine-Needs Help Identifying/Using

New Sewing Machine-Needs Help Identifying/Using

Old 10-29-2021, 03:40 PM

Default New Sewing Machine-Needs Help Identifying/Using

I purchased this National brand sewing machine and it has "The Jackson" printed on it. I think it is an Improved Seamstress model. I haven't found a cabinet online that matches completely though as mine has curved drawers. I would love input on what people think this model is or how old it is. Also, perhaps most importantly, does anyone have any suggestions for a user manual? I want to sew with it, but this is my first antique sewing machine. It seems to have all of its attachments/shuttles/bobbins.
Attached Thumbnails cabinet.jpg   machine.jpg  

Last edited by Errand; 10-29-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:50 PM

I'm quoting one of Janey's posts belowregarding how to post photos. We all like photos. We get a better idea of the machine.

bkay

"We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 10-29-2021, 03:55 PM

Thank you, I believe I got them to upload this time. Amazing what hitting the 'Upload' button can do!
Old 10-29-2021, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Errand View Post
Thank you, I believe I got them to upload this time. Amazing what hitting the 'Upload' button can do!
That button is definitely "out of the way"!!!!
Old 11-01-2021, 07:06 AM

Welcome aboard. You may know that the button in the center of the base nearest the operator will release a latch an let you tilt it back for service.( check the length of the belt first) Check out that lifting chain and it's mounts. Some have broken over the decades and a dropping machine can lead to disasters. Welcome aboard.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. Your machine is a beauty! I don't know a thing about this one but I am sure someone here will have some info on it. There are so many vintage and antique lovers here. I hope you join in some of the fun here.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:42 PM

I agree with you, after looking at needlebar.org, that it appears to be a National Improved Seamstress. I can't help you find a manual, but if you post a picture of the front/nose of the machine we might be able to help you figure out the upper thread path. Loading bobbins and getting a bobbin in the shuttle, etc is going to be very similar to other vibrating shuttle machines, along with picking up the bobbin thread. Put a piece of cloth under the presser foot, with pressure on the presser foot, and rotate the hand wheel by hand, in both directions. Whichever direction has the cloth moving away from you is the correct direction of rotation.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:43 PM

Thank you, bkay, for getting the instructions to post pictures so quickly.

Welcome, Errand. I've never dealt with one of the machines that has a chain, wire or cord to raise the machine. I would second Leon's excellent advise to check out the chain mechanism.

I agree with Joe's post.

I know your machine is a tad different than the Improved Eldredge B, but I'm thinking the threading may be similar. More than likely your uses the 20x1 needles. I'm wondering if one or more of the following would be helpful to your machine.

Manual for Eldredge Improved B single spool
Needle type for Eldredge "B" (Improved) Treadle?
National Improved Eldredge type B manual?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:37 PM

Thank you so much, everyone! Here are more photos:
Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg   thumbnail-1-.jpg   thumbnail-2-.jpg  
Old 11-09-2021, 05:42 PM

I did not know that the center button did that so it was VERY cool to try that for the first time! It will not open all of the way for me; I think the hinges are dirty/stiff. Do folks use a certain oil to loosen old hinges?