Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red Piping Binding for a White Quilt >

Red Piping Binding for a White Quilt

Red Piping Binding for a White Quilt

Old 11-28-2021, 03:44 PM

Default Red Piping Binding for a White Quilt

I am making a reproduction quilt circa 1860 and do not have access to the actual quilt. I have a color picture that does not show much detail. The quilt blocks all have a white background with traditional red and green appliqué coxcombs.

The quilt also has red piping along the binding edge, but only the round piping itself shows- none of the red fabric edge that made the piping shows at all. I have wracked/wrecked my brain trying to figure out how this was done! Only the red piping shows. The rest of the binding is white.

Does anyone know how this could be done?? The original quilt was all hand sewn and quilted. How would you do this using today’s techniques?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-28-2021, 04:28 PM

If I understand your question, it sounds like you are looking to finish the edge of the quilt with piping, in lieu of any binding. I would think you would add the piping like prairie points: sew the piping to the quilt top only, matching raw edges, then press to back, press under seam allowance of back then edge or hand stitch along the edge with the piping sandwiched between the quilt top and backing.

I couldn’t find any online instructions. That may be because piping is not easy to make and doesn’t wear well. But like prairie points, there are some quilts that would really shine with that edge treatment.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:33 PM

I'm wondering if it is something like what is shown at https://scrapdash.com/adding-a-faux-...ng-to-a-quilt/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-28-2021, 04:40 PM
mkc

Something like Charismah's Flanged binding?

Charismah's flanged binding tutorial
Old 11-28-2021, 04:47 PM
Gay

Will this tutorial help? You would have to change the white fabric to red and the green to white. If not you will have to show us a photo of the quilt or a link to it.

Flange Binding
Old 11-28-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

If the red piping was right on the edge, maybe the piping was sandwiched between 2 white bindings?
Old 11-28-2021, 07:12 PM

A picture would be helpful. I'm not sure what you asking when you say "none of the red fabric that made the binding shows".
Old 11-28-2021, 09:50 PM

There are a lot of flange binding tutorials out there. I'd make a flanged binding, only I'd add small cording inside the flange before sewing it on to make it look like piping.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:57 AM

If you want only piping to show- you might sew it as if you would add piping to a collar or a skirt. Then turn the whole thing back to the right side through a 'saved' space & then stitch closed. Clear as mud??? Both front & back, right sides together with piping in between. Sew using a zipper foot & then turn out to right side. Better explanation? Hope it helps. Let us know what you decide
sewverybusy1
Old 11-29-2021, 04:54 AM

I would be interested to know if the piping had a rounded look (meaning some sort of cording had been inserted) or if it was laying flat on the quilt which would have meant a flange binding. Making a corded piping wouldn't be hard given you had the right length of cording for the quilt...I use a zipper foot to make these. The add to tyour quilt top as you would for flange.