Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I have questions about unknown machine..... >

I have questions about unknown machine.....

I have questions about unknown machine.....

Old 11-29-2021, 04:59 PM

Default I have questions about unknown machine.....

Hi all, I picked up this machine at the Goodwill. I'm hoping to use it as a sit down longarm. It has a hopping foot. It is a 18" throat. It's stamped PSM underneath and has a Sears Kenmore motor on it. Has anyone ever seen one of these? Any idea of the age? And, does anyone know what size needle to try in it? I'm drawing a blank when I google everything associated with it. It runs well. Thanks for any information anyone can give me.
Attached Thumbnails 34661351211712aaen.jpg   43826691211714aaen.jpg   88546021211715aaen.jpg   89489511211713aaen.jpg  

Last edited by SVgal; 11-29-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:30 PM

Welcome to QB. It looks like a stretched/modified Singer sewing machine. There may be a serial number at the bottom of the pillar on the bed of the machine.

I found a couple of threads about Wow Sewing machines - Wow quilts stretched Singer, Help and Does any one have a Wow Quilting Machine? I was able to find an archived link but it doesn't have a whole lot of information and looks like they were (no longer around) using some 201s as well as the 15s. I can't verify which bobbin it uses but it sure looks like a class 15 bobbin and fairly certain that it would use 15x1 needles (regular domestic needles). I'm wondering if http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...ion-manual.pdf would be helpful. It looks like setting the needle and inserting the bobbin should work for your machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 11-29-2021, 08:33 PM

It uses a standard 15 class bobbin and has an oscillating hook system.

Usually on a Kenmore, the model number is stamped just under the bed, on the front side (not on the bottom). If you have the model number, you can go to their official website and might be able to find a manual. https://www.searspartsdirect.com/

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2021, 05:27 AM

Default An Update

Hi all, Thanks to our Workbench, it looks like the mystery is solved! It appears to be a WOW stretched machine. I started digging around, and found the serial number, having been scratched off and painted over. Its a 1960 Singer, serial number HA515075, I think. (Having been filed off before painting, this is as close as I can get.) So, now its time for the restoration process. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-02-2021, 05:45 AM

Actually, it could also be what is considered a 15-clone. Since it is a modified machine it could have parts that were not original machine. It seems I remember a company that modified Singer 15s and 15 clones to be a dedicated ruffler. I would probably double check the bobbin to make sure it is a 15 class. It seems like I read that some machines that were modified to take a "M" bobbin so that it would hold more thread. It sure looks like a 15 class as the "M" bobbins are larger. For some measurements to be sure there is this link - https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bl...y-sewist-know/

I'm fairly certain that the manual I linked to should work. There may be another thread guide before it gets to the nose.

Have fun with your "new" machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)