Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do You Use Toaster Bags? >

Do You Use Toaster Bags?

Do You Use Toaster Bags?

Old 12-01-2021, 03:06 PM

I don’t even have a toaster, heck, I don’t even have a microwave or even a coffee maker. I am a kitchen gadget girl, but there are some things that taste best the old fashioned way, and I prefer mine made in a cast iron skillet. But like others, I gotta wonder what happens with the cheese when it starts melting?
Old 12-01-2021, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

The cheese stays in the middle of the slices. It sticks to the bread. I use a cast iron skillet but the grands use the toaster or airfryer.
Old 12-01-2021, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Thank you abc123xyz, for introducing me to something new!
Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 PM

So how do you folks with cast iron skillets clean them. My grandfather used to make us kids breakfast and I remember he said never, ever wash a cast iron pan, he just simply wiped it out. Nothing ever really stuck to it.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:14 PM

I found out about these when we were trying to figure out a way to heat up left over pizza without using the microwave (soggy pizza) or cranking up the big oven. We finally settled on a toaster oven which I LOVE. I never bought any of the bags but liked the concept of them.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:33 PM

Grilled cheese sandwich in a fry pan on stove top.

I make DH an egg sandwich most nights. Then I make a grilled cheese. A quick wipe with a damp paper towel cleans the pan.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
So how do you folks with cast iron skillets clean them. My grandfather used to make us kids breakfast and I remember he said never, ever wash a cast iron pan, he just simply wiped it out. Nothing ever really stuck to it.
if you Google you will see many different methods. I use one that works for me but I don’t use my cast iron skillet often because I don’t fry all that much. Probably everyone who comments has a slightly different method. Whatever works.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I use hot water and the chainmaill scrubber to clean my cast iron. If it is properly seasoned nothing sticks so much you have to spend more then a minute to clean it. I use soap every so often, just be sure to heat dry after rinsing and recoat with oil. All my cast iron is Lodge and now it comes pre seasoned which saves you a lot of hassle. Lodge has quality cast iron that gets better with age. I had one cast iron skillet made in China that pitted and the pan split in two pieces. Shoddy casting.

Old 12-02-2021, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I use mine once in a while for frying. I do wash it and still doesn't stick. I have had it for years. I don't fry often. I have little green life pans I use most often. Never sticks and washes easily.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:04 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Cast iron skillet

Cast iron skillets are used daily in our home. My husband keeps them well season. All of them are antique Griswold. You can’t beat it and it’s a little lighter than Lodge. When we get a “new” one, he puts it in the self cleaning oven and gets all the crude off. Then it’s a two day process of heating, oiling cooling over and over until it gets a good finish on it. When we are finished using it to fry an egg or sauté vegetables or whatever, we either just wipe it out with a damp cloth or give it a quick rinse and a quick soap and then we put it on the gas stove to get it dry watching carefully. As soon as all the water is evaporated when it starts to smoke we turn off the flame and spray it for oil it. Better than Teflon any day!
What is the official name of the Toaster Bags? May be good stocking stuffers!