Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps? >

Scraps?

Scraps?

Old 12-13-2021, 06:47 PM

I like scrap quilt that have a unifying background color and common block.
Currently swimming in pink scraps...because I hate pink. So it's the last color I reach for...ever. I need to practice my flying geese so I'm using the pink with a variety of grey's as my background and making stars. What is surprising me is how much I am liking the resultant blocks. I'm using an 8" finish because it seems to make best use of the WOFs I have leftovers.
So that's my suggestion. Find a background you like (white is easy) make a common block with them (hsts are easy but maybe you think snowballs are the *bomb*). Just something you can live with and keep building. When you feel like you have enough...
Old 12-14-2021, 05:01 AM

I'm working on several quilt tops from scraps, a mini tumbler, half squares, four patches, etc. I keep shoeboxes of cut parts on or near my machine and work a little bit each day. Eventually I'll have some pretty scrap quilts and wall hangings.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:54 PM

My scrap box is on my list for 2022. I made this from scraps and plan to make another one.
Attached Thumbnails 2019121795113902.jpg   2019121795113913.jpg  
Old 12-15-2021, 07:08 PM

Might it be possible for you to share with us how you pieced that border, or direct us to where we might find the pattern? It's beautiful!
Old 12-16-2021, 12:05 PM

That is a great quilt, maryb119.

Iceblossom, thanks for sharing the idea of sorting scraps by theme! I have never done anything with my scraps except shove them into plastic grocery bags and stick them somewhere. But this makes sense to me and I can actually imagine doing it.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/magaz...9-a343e734a655

Has an articles on how to sort scraps and also an article on UFOs. It might be worth getting the February 2022 edition.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:48 PM

I think this thread inspired me to clean up my scraps! I used my Accuquilt yesterday to create bonus HST and trimmed a lot more today with my rotary cutter. I was able to use some scraps for the BH 2021 Mystery Quilt. Still, I need to put “Make a quilt using mostly my scraps” in my list of projects for 2022.
Old 12-16-2021, 04:26 PM

I made a king size crumb quilt and I still have bins of scraps. I throw away anything smaller than 1" square and anything less than 2" square goes into my crumb bin. I have my scraps sorted by colors and I cut them into strips or squares according to the pattern I am making. I have even used 1" strips to crochet rugs that last forever. I made a shower curtain out of my scraps once. You cut your fabric into 2.5" strips and cut the long strips into 7" or less. Put them into a laundry basket and reach in and grab a strip and start joining them. The only rule is no 2 strips that match are sewn together. Roll these strips until you have a ball about the size of a beach ball. Decide how wide you want your project and cut off that length from the ball of scraps. Sew rows together and then line. I sewed along the lines between the rows and then put binding on it. I made button holes at the top for the shower hooks and I have been using it for over 30 years. Naturally you don't use a batting. It was a lot of fun and easy to make.
Old 12-16-2021, 05:15 PM

Fabric Galore - I'd love to see a picture of that! While I made a curtain for the door of the master bedroom ensuite, I never thought to quilt a shower curtain.

Your scrap collection sounds like mine - I'm still struggling with throwing away anything, even if it's smaller than an inch - but I'm starting to see the futility of keeping every tiny scrap and can envision a system like yours that allows me to keep some small stuff but to get rid of what is really not quiltable. I have made some progress - I learned from Kate at The Last Homely House (YouTube) that you can compost cotton scraps and so that's where all of my block trimmings go. Looking forward to seeing how much they have broken down when I dig out the compost bin in the spring.

This has been a great thread - so many super ideas! Looking forward to more posts. :-)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:50 AM

I keep my scraps in containers. Most of them are either stripped 2 1/2 wide or if the piece is larger 6 1/2 squares. These are used to make children's quilts and donated to the Linus Project. I have also given to other charitable events as they come up so the pieces are ready for me when needed.

The 2 1/2 in strips can also be used for bindings for these quilts.