Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please!! >

Help please!!

Help please!!

Old 01-20-2022, 01:54 PM

Default Help please!!

My machine is sewing terrible. It is supposed to adjust the tension automatically but it isn’t. I have tried rewinding the bobbin, changing the needle and adjusting the tension myself but that just seems to make it worse. I have a Viking Sapphire. Any suggestions for what I could do?

sorry, I don’t know how to attach a picture. Keeps saying failed to upload!
Old 01-20-2022, 02:17 PM

Have you unplugged the power cord from your machine for a few minutes then turn it on again?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:36 PM

Was everything working ok last time you sewed?

I find that sometimes when I'm having problems from one day to the next that a really super cleaning of the bobbin case area/under the footplate, scrub it all out sometimes fixes things I wouldn't think it would.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:53 PM

are you using a different kind of thread? sometimes certain thread can make a machine angry.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:28 PM

When was the last time it worked properly, and what has changed since then?
Old 01-20-2022, 03:29 PM

I have not unplugged it but will try that and see if it helps. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:32 PM

Yes, it was sewing fine and now it's not. I will clean it good and see if that helps. Thank you.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:35 PM

I have not changed thread. Right now I have Guitermann (sp?) in my machine so it is a good thread. The last few times I have tried sewing it was acting up. But nothing has changed that I can think of. It was sewing beautifully.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:57 PM

Take a deep breathe...Ok, A good first and often only step you need to take, is to totally unthread everything. Now go get your manual, good to the pages where it tells you how to thread the top thread and the bobbin, follow it step by step. I know that sounds simple but I can't tell the number of times I have been very frustrated and was convinced I was doing everything right only to find that sometimes, I had missed a thread guide, or the thread had somehow come out of where it is supposed to be. Some of the vikings have had a problem with the thread coming out of the take up lever at the top of the machine, When that happens it is no good! If that doesn't work, can you tell us more, like what threads are you using in the top and in the bobbin? How is it stitching terrible? Missing stitches, bobbin thread coming to the top? top thread making a nest on the bottom? As you have changed the tension, can you put it back where it was? Also, the bobbin area needs to cleaned frequently. I used to have a Viking D1, SE, and now a Topaz 40. My vikings have been good machine but I did have one plastic inner part wear out on my D1 after many years of use and it had to be replaced.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Yes, unthread your machine and try retreading being careful to go through all the guides. Clean out the bobbin area also and if retreading doesn’t work, unthread again and check to make sure there is not a piece of thread or fuzz caught in the tension discs. Try changing your needle as sometimes a tiny burr on the needle tip can cause trouble.