Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Flying Geese not flying! >

Flying Geese not flying!

Flying Geese not flying!

Old 02-03-2022, 12:10 PM

Unhappy Flying Geese not flying!

Hello Everyone -
I am still having a heck of a time squaring up my Flying Geese blocks. I find myself not making any blocks/quilts that have them included (
What ruler would be the best for me to buy? I have several small square rulers and a large rectangle. I am self taught following retirement and have been fairly successful with some basic squares. I have completed 9 quilts since "Covid" hit and am starting a throw that is houses. Of course, it has Flying Geese!!!
Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Old 02-03-2022, 12:49 PM

I had never made flying geese until I got the accuquilt go cutter and flying geese came with it when I bought it. They came out good for me. I am sorry I can not help Good luck and don't give up.
Old 02-03-2022, 01:12 PM

I love the rulers from Eleanor Burns, Quilt in a Day. I have the best luck with these and have made many geese. I think Joanne’s carries them. Welcome to the board
Old 02-03-2022, 02:07 PM

Flying geese were my nemesis too. I make them slightly bigger and then cut them to size. I use the Bloc-Loc flying geese ruler, and I have also used the Eleanor Burns ruler successfully.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 02-04-2022, 05:41 AM

Welcome aboard -- you didn't mention what techniques you are using for the Geese units. There are many ways to do it. Here's a (long) video that explains some of the options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJT26kylpMQ

In general, I do a cut/sew large and trim down technique which can be a bit hard to explain -- typically with Geese it means I have my large triangle sized correctly and that the two smaller side ones are a bit larger than designed.

I do find that I make "correct" geese quite well using the rectangle and two squares method, where you draw lines on the diagonal of the squares, sew, and then trim off the excess.

There are also ways to make multiples at a time (2-4) -- some people swear by them but I typically go 1 at a time.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:44 AM

I love the Deb Tucker Flying Geese ruler. The only way I can make them is to make them larger and trim down. I prefer the 4 at a time method over the flippy corners method. But if you make them large, it doesn't really matter. At a retreat once, I had a teacher say, Protect the point. If you maintain the point, the wings being off a little doesn't show as much in the end.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:33 AM

I do Ricky tims method so easy and only ONE seam, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu...l=THEQUILTSHOW
Old 02-04-2022, 10:45 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! You are not alone when it comes to flying geese. I use to struggle with them a great deal. Before I got the Accuquilt system I found myself squaring them up and they were always smaller than I wanted them to be. I finally looked on You Tube and found a video that Elenore Burns did and that was a big help. Like you I am self taught. I am still looking forward to taking my first quilting class some day. For me ease with Flying Geese came with Accuquilt. I just finished a block this morning with Flying Geese and they came out perfect and right on point as they should. Right now I have a block laid out on my cutting table that has 8 flying geese. I took a break just to look on the QB and found your concern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Hir25m1NQ Elenore Burns Flying Geese .
Old 02-04-2022, 01:54 PM

I also use the Accuquilt dies for FG. The dies will fit through the Baby cutter which I found on sale at the LQS.

I have also used the ruler and instructions from Quilt in a day.