Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I Bought Another Featherweight >

I Bought Another Featherweight

I Bought Another Featherweight

Old 02-18-2022, 10:32 AM

Default I Bought Another Featherweight

I was at an estate sale today that had some sewing machines. I resisted the 500 in a case (sort of regret that. The case probably would have been worth what they were asking for it) but I bought the sort or sad looking featherweight without a case. Its really dirty. I took the drip pan off and the felt pad is sort of like cardboard so I'll be replacing that. I found a newish drip pan on eBay for not too much and bought it but I'm thinking of seeing if I can clean up the extremely dirty and rusty one that's on there. What's the best way to clean up the rust? The screw that holds the drip pan on is also very dirty and rusty so it will need cleaning too. I'm planning to order a new felt drip pad but I"m going to wait to see if there's anything else I need. I want to have this one painted so I'll just be cleaning and getting it running and not doing much cosmetics with it.

Did I mention I love estate sales??
Old 02-18-2022, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

Patrice, Happy for you! Getting a FW is always wonderful!! I really want to have one of mine painted. When you do you must show us!
Old 02-18-2022, 12:58 PM

Huzzah. Have fun with it.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:08 PM

I'm cleaning it a bit and seeing what I need to replace now. I'm excited about this project!
Old 02-18-2022, 04:53 PM

Oh! I forgot to add that I also got about 25 bobbins for $8. Score! I have 2 other featherweights and my mom 301a and they all use the same bobbins. Before today, I only had about 6 so was unwinding and rewinding bobbins a lot.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:08 PM

As an update, I worked on the FW all yesterday afternoon. It had a test stitch piece of fabric under the foot and the stitching on it was so-so. When I took the throat plate off, it was clogged with lint and there were a couple of small pieces of thread stuck in the bobbin area. I cleaned those out and put a new bobbin and needle in. Oiled everything the fired her up. She stitched well with some minor tension adjustment but seemed to be running a bit slow. I took the foot pedal/power cord from my other FW. It was a new one I bought a couple years ago after I got that machine. The new FW seemed to run faster with that foot feed so I'll probably be ordering a new one from the Featherweight Shop or Nova. It was really fun cleaning it up and oiling it. I watched some videos from the FW Shop while I was working. I learned a lot I didn't know!
Old 02-22-2022, 04:38 AM

Question Newbie in the house

I am new to vintage collecting. I have 99K, a 1923 gingerbread tiffany 15 and a toy singer both the heavy metal one with a C clamp and a plastic one from the 70's or 80's.
I am just seeing astronomical amounts asked for featherweights and I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the attraction is for them that makes them so desirable?

Thanks
Donna
Old 02-22-2022, 05:25 AM

They're a vintage Singer, so are good machines. No worries, they will work forever if you keep them oiled, and will work almost forever if you don't. They are lightweight - good to take to a class or on a trip. They are cute. They aren't as common as some other vintage Singers, but not actually rare. So that makes them desirable (not everyone can find one they can afford). It's a combination of all the above.

bkay
Old 02-22-2022, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

Patrice, isn't it fun to work on FW's? I love tinkering with them.
I have a FW setup downstairs. My husband said he loves the sound of old Singers because it reminds him of his grandmother when he was little. Nice memory!
Old 02-22-2022, 10:58 AM

inchhirm Welcome to the forum. Since Covid many machine prices have shot up. FW's have gone crazy. Your 99 is easier to work on and less finciky. but it is bigger. love it an maybe a FW will come your way. if not, there are plenty of others to play with.