Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Omnigrid vs Omnigrip rulers >

Omnigrid vs Omnigrip rulers

Omnigrid vs Omnigrip rulers

Old 02-19-2022, 12:55 PM

Default Omnigrid vs Omnigrip rulers

Can someone explain to me the difference betweeen omnigrid and grip? I have some omnigrid rulers which slip and slide all over the place and some omnigrip which are more "grippy" and therefore preferable, but on them is printed "omnigrip by omnigrid." I guess omnigrid makes both of these - what is the purpose of the omnigrid rulers? It can't be for cutting fabric as they are way too slippery. And Creative Grids is an entirely different company, right?
Old 02-19-2022, 02:51 PM

I'm not sure of the difference. I have Omnigrip rulers but I find they still slide so I got some Invisigrip(by Omigrid) and applied to all my rulers. Recently I had a ruler sliding all around until I realized I hadn't put the Invisigrip on it.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:09 PM

They are the same company. But, they Omnigrip has the rough spots on the back to help prevent slipping. I add some of the first aid tape to my rulers. It is clear and has some texture to it. Sorry I can’t remember the name of it.
Old 02-19-2022, 04:17 PM

Thank you for your replies!
How does Fons & Porter fit into Omnigrip/grid? I have an 8" and 12" ruler used for marking the diagonal lines on squares when making hst's and printed on them is "Omnigrid" as well as "Fons & Porter." Does one of these companies own the other? Just curious.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:18 PM

As for triangle and hst's, Creative Grids makes specialy rulers for this. Besides the 8.5 x 24.5 ruler, the 2 triangle rulers are what I use the most. Infact, may be time to replace them.

I've used first aide tape, invisigrip, Creative Grids (the grip is part of the ruler) and a paint on product that has been the most grippy. Have loved them all.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
Thank you for your replies!
How does Fons & Porter fit into Omnigrip/grid? I have an 8" and 12" ruler used for marking the diagonal lines on squares when making hst's and printed on them is "Omnigrid" as well as "Fons & Porter." Does one of these companies own the other? Just curious.
I don't know for sure, but it's more likely that Omnigrid made the rulers for Fons & Porter, just as Creative Grids makes the rulers for Angela Walters.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:21 PM

If memory serves correctly (but it often doesn't!), Omnigrid was the original product and then came the improvements, including Omnigrip.

HTH

Rusty
Old 02-20-2022, 06:06 AM

There's a new spray (at least new to me) called "Grippy Spray" that you spray on the back of your ruler. It dries instantly and lasts quite awhile. It eventually wears off, but you can also wash it off. It's not real sticky but holds the rulers great. It's maybe 8 bucks a can...lasts a long time.

Last edited by Sewgood; 02-20-2022 at 06:07 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-20-2022, 04:22 PM

The tape I use is called NexCare by 3M - it is clear, comes in a dispenser like Scotch Tape, and has a bit of texture to it.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:49 PM

I’ve been using both of these rulers for years and never had issues with slipping because I was told to put the dots on the back since before they made Invisigrip. I put that on all that don’t have the grippy dots. Also regarding Fons and Porter according to what the ladies said many years ago Omnigrid made them for their company.