Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Loon Lake wall hanging >

Loon Lake wall hanging

Loon Lake wall hanging

Old 02-21-2022, 07:07 AM

Default Loon Lake wall hanging

This pattern from Country Threads had a copyright from 1994, so I must have bought it around then. Having organized my sewing room in January of this year it resurfaced and for some unknown reason I still kept it. Upon further inspection I found I had at one time set aside the fabrics for the animal blocks, then put it away. I remembered that I originally bought it to make for dear longtime friends of my parents who owned a cabin on Loon Lake in WI. Unfortunately they and my parents died years ago now, but I do still keep in touch at Christmastime with their son, but haven't seen him in probably 55 years. This year he wrote that he never realized where in IL our town was actually located, and they travel near us on their way back from FL every year. I had written back saying they should pay us a visit sometime. Well...................he contacted me about a week ago and asked if we were available on March 9th! After a request that they have a negative rapid test on the morning before they visit, I said "yes". (I am a cancer survivor and our only social contact has been with my DH's brother who has serious health risks) I took out the kit and started once again. Now I realize why I never did it before LOL
In 1994 I had sewn few quilts and my skills weren't up to the level of accurate piecing to do 1" x 2" flying geese, 3" square pieced stars and 1" checkerboards, even though I had been garment sewing for 25 + years. I also was not a scrap quilter and the combinations of umpteen fabrics included just overwhelmed me, and sometimes they still do. Anyway the top is finished and I do like it, so hope they do too. They still own the cabin and have numerous years of fun and family gatherings to remember. My favorite memory was an old hand pump at the edge of the kitchen sink to get water, instead of the usual faucet, and the shallow sandy beach that seemed to stretch forever into the water before the dropoff that made it deep enough for swimming. I plan on doing a scrappy backing with the leftover fabrics and quilting it this week doing a straight stitch 1/8" inside the borders of the applique and some echo quilting around them and the blocks. It finishes at 25" x 40".
resized-loon-lake-wallhanging.jpg
Old 02-21-2022, 07:13 AM

This is a beautiful quilt and the memories it will hold for the both of you are found in this darling quilt. I am sure they will love it. Thanks for sharing this quilt filled with memories.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

You did a wonderful job on the quilt. Being I'm originally from Minnesota, loons are special in my eyes, as it is the state bird. I'm sure they will be thrilled with it. It is very much a Country Threads pattern from the 90's.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:27 AM

Wow, so nice. It must feel good to have it in the finished column. They will love it! I'd say your piecing skills are excellent!
Old 02-21-2022, 10:12 AM

Lovely sentiments to go along with your beautiful quilt.
Old 02-21-2022, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Cute top!👏🏻
Old 02-21-2022, 03:47 PM

It's a lovely quilt. Thanks for sharing the story that goes with it.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

That's adorable and I love the story!
Old 02-21-2022, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful quilt! Love it a bunch!
Old 02-21-2022, 06:08 PM

I didn't first notice that those pieces were so tiny! Now I'm even more impressed! I think it turned out super great!