Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about digital print fabric >

question about digital print fabric

question about digital print fabric

Old 02-25-2022, 05:43 PM

Default question about digital print fabric

I would like to know if anyone has purchased or worked with digitally printed batiks. I recently was gifted a fat quarter bundle of 12, and they have a very unusual hand to them. I have used a number of different brands of batiks, and they are by nature coarser than high end cottons, but this fabric is very stiff and almost feels like the fabric used for decorative garden flags. Is all digitally printed fabric this way? Or is this what we have to look forward to with digital prints? I don't normally like to pre-wash fat quarters before I use them, but any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:31 PM

My digital prints have all been from Northcutt and have been lovely fabric - not at all stiff.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:48 PM

Irishrose2, Thank you, that's good to hear. Guess I just got bad fabric.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:06 AM

I guess I got some bad as well. I didn't realize it when I purchased it, but when it arrived it was like uggg. It was so plastic feeling even though it said 100% cotton. Then when checking, it said way down at the bottom of the description on the website where I purchased it, that it was digitally printed fabric. I also didn't like that it really didn't show any of the 'print' on the back side unless you held it up to the light. I was afraid that it would eventually come off in the wash. (my fabric was white background with tiny pink swirls and flowers for the design. I also noticed that the fabric wasn't an off brand, but produced (made) by a name brand company, probably for a designer, since their fabric is normally 'regular' quilting fabric.

I decided, never again. I just shoved the fabric in box for donation. I couldn't even bring myself to use it, even though it was over three yards. (was going to be backing) I am so hoping that this isn't the way fabric is going to go, as in being digitally printed. I'm very careful in when I purchase fabric now. It is the first thing I look for, and quickly move on when I see it.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:30 AM

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience -- but I don't think you should completely disregard all digital prints.

I haven't used it yet, but I just love the Hoffman extra wide digital print back I got. For me it was terribly expensive but I got it to back a Judy Niemeyer top... I got it from a different vendor but this is the fabric:
https://www.keepsakequilting.com/Dra...ard?quantity=2

Old 02-26-2022, 06:12 AM

I have never used a a digitally printed fabric but I will be watchful now.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:18 AM

I see Robert Kaufman site has an article on digitally printed fabric that is quite interesting, sorry can’t figure out how to link it here, but found it by googling.
I made a quilt with a Wolf panel that was digitally printed and it was beautiful to work with, not rubbery at all, no idea of the brand though.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:18 AM

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how a batik can be digitally printed. If you know the process of how batiks are made it isn't possible. The only thing I can come up with is a piece of batik fabric has had a picture printed on the top of it. I can see where this could possibly alter the hand of the fabric especially if the wax had not been completely removed from the original batik fabric.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Robert Kaufman site has an article on digitally printed fabric that is quite interesting, sorry can’t figure out how to link it here
You simply copy the site's url (www etc) and paste it here.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:38 AM

I don’t think there is such a thing as a digitally printed Batik, since Batik itself is the process. Batik fabrics do use a higher thread count and I find the hand very silky and high quality and they get even more silky when washed. Seems that perhaps you got a poorly manufactured digital print which is always disappointing.

https://www.skillshare.com/blog/a-gu...nd-how-to-diy/

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/batik